Has anyone heard anything bad about soy based formula?

My doc just switched us to soy. I am breastfeeding but my son is 10 months old so would like to start giving him formula every once in awhile with his cereal and stuff like that. I have been using regular formula but, doc thought soy would be better because he is allergic to eggs.

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why not just keep breastfeeding?

" The most serious problem with soy formula is the presence of phytoestrogens or isoflavones. While many claims have been made about the health benefits of these estrogen-like compounds, animal studies indicate that they are powerful endocrine disrupters that alter growth patterns and cause sterility. Toxicologists estimate that an infant exclusively fed soy formula receives the estrogenic equivalent of at least five birth control pills per day...

Scientists have known for years that isoflavones in soy products can depress thyroid function, causing autoimmune thyroid disease and even cancer of the thyroid."

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/infant.html

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 9:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• nothing bad about soy as long as your baby can tolerate it. my 2nd was on soy based formula no problems.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I haven't heard anything. Both my boys were on soy formula because they seemed to be lactose intolerant.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my daughter has been on soy formula for months. when i researched any issues with it, the only thing i heard was that some babies had trouble moving from the soy formula to milk at 12 months, but even that information was 50/50 and my pediatrician said it wasn't true. that is the only bad thing i have heard.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 8:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Why do you want to add formula at this point? Why not just express some breastmilk to mix with his food?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I guess I could. My doc says he needs more vitamins and minerals at this point, besides what is in breastmilk and his baby food. Like vitamin D. I guess I could just give him a supplement of vitamin D?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son was on soy from about 8 weeks til he switched to milk (that was bad, but it turned out he was allergic to dairy). i never had a problem with it
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you are really worried about vitamins there are vitamin drops the doctor can give you for your son. But usually a little sunlight is all that is needed for vitamin d. Formula isn't needed.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 11:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Just mix some cereal in with his breast milk
    Anonymous