Most people feel you should not judge a person by their religion, so why do presidential candidates seem to be the exception?

I just got thinking about this today and was wondering what you all thought. It seems to be a big deal and yet I see so many comments on how we should not judge a person based on their religious beliefs. I don't really want to focus on one particular person or a particular religion. What are your opinions on this topic?

cowboysgirl3227

Asked by cowboysgirl3227 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• People in general should not be judged at all.
    however, when casting a vote, judgement is King.
    One would hope that Religious preference would not come into play, but how can it not? And some want it to.
    My opinion is this
    1. Anyone called to God's service, should only do that. Putting politics in it dilutes it. You are either called or you are not. pastors are pastors not political leaders
    2. a voter should not vote based on their preference, because then you impose your beliefs on someone else. something you yourself do not want.
    3.It's impossible to be fair in the situation and not biased. Subconsciously, I think we are all biased to some degree one way or the other. We all want, what we want afterall.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because people fear what they don't understand. If they believe lies and propaganda about certain religions or lack there of, that ignorance is going to leak over into their decision making in the voting booth.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't, unless they're pushing their religion in their campaign. I don't care if the president is Christian, Muslim, Atheist, etc, but I expect him/her to do his/her job in representing people of ALL faiths, and not intent on setting legislation according to his own.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• For me, I don't care what a candidate believes as long as he or she is smart enough to keep those beliefs personal and not try to create public policy with them. Case in point: during the last elections, my area had several candidates state in commercials and during speeches that they wanted to "return our country to its Judeo-Christian roots". That sort of talk scares me. This is not a Christian nation. It is a secular nation. We do not want or need a theocracy. If the candidate wants to spend an hour each morning praying to one god, many gods, or not spend any time in prayer at all, it matters not at all to me, as long as it's on his or her own time and he or she isn't trying to impose his or her beliefs on the rest of us.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• (oh and by representing people of all faiths, I meant that s/he ought to remember that this country is made up of all different beliefs and non beliefs, and s/he is supposed to favor none over the rest when it comes to policy and so forth.)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because decisions the president can affect all Americans.

It usually doesn't make much difference, but I am wary of any candidate who is outspoken about certain fundamentalist beliefs, like GLBT issues and abortion issues.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Having my own beliefs is one thing....I may not agree at all with another person's beliefs but it's not up to me to change their minds. I just know I have to live the life I preach. I do respect a person for standing up for what they believe in. What they believe tells me a lot. And some ppl profess to be one thing and end up living another. As far as Presidential Candidates go....I just want them to tell me the truth....not what they "think" I want to hear.
    I love Jewjewbees answer:)))
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 4:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I judge people based on religion. Why shouldn't I? Religion says a lot about people.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I understand that, I think that is a concern for everyone, like I said I just wanted to hear everyone's opinions, thanks for commenting!
    cowboysgirl3227

Comment by cowboysgirl3227 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because political candidates are ALWAYS the exception
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011