What would you do with a brother like this?

My brother is one of the most difficult people I know. We've fought since we were born. As adults, we have extremely different lifestyles. We could still get along, but when we're together, my brother loves to make me the butt of all his jokes. He knows where I'm sensitive and just how to push my buttons. I can only be around him so long before I want to go cry and not see him for a long time.

On the other hand, I know my brother's super insecure deep down inside, and in the past I have exploited his sensitivities with my sharp tongue (only realizing this now looking back). I've apologized, but I think he'll be bitter at me forever. When he was 7 I was 8 we lost our dad and two brothers in a tragic accident, so even though we don't get along, we do value each other and the need to be a family. Right now that means a texted "I love you" every few months, but I still don't want to have contact with him. I blocked him on FB after the last nasty letter he wrote me. Still I feel bad. I've tried so hard to have a relationship with him, and always end up feeling bulldozed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I have to keep myself distanced from my brother because of things he's done in the past to me. I haven't hurt him in any way that I know of or can think of ever intending to do so.
    It seems like you and your brother just need to keep your relationship distanced. Someone that appreciated you wouldn't make you the butt of all their jokes and treat you as such. That goes both ways. So be the person you know you should be and don't bite back when he decides to. If he continues to be like that, I wouldn't be around him whatsoever. Tell him exactly how you fee and leave the ball in his court. He sounds like a really confused and conflicted person. He sounds like he's not happy at all with himself, to tear others down.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'd do precisely what you HAVE done.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would have done the same as you..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I can sort of relate. Its sort of like that w/ my big brother. Everytime we are near each other we fight so badly. When younger we use to hit each other, him hitting me more then me him. well he is in jail, for what no one will tell me. He did ask me to forgive him and I would love tobut its hard. I think you have done all that you can do, not much else. Good luck & I do hope you can get things worked out w/ him.
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 3:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2011