How can make my autistic child eat

he only eats cheese pizza,chocolate ice cream ,cuban bread ,chocolate cookies,spaguetti with ketchup;i do not how to help him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• help him by making him what he likes. Autistic children have very sensitive tastebuds and are very seinsitive to textures. As long as your doctor tells you that his diet isnt effecting his growth and development in other ways then let him eat what he likes. Its less of a battle for you both.
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Also it is not uncommon for autistic children to prefer breads like pizza, eggos, bagels, etc Good luck !!
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• A good OT can be a blessing. My son is a "picky" eater due to sensory processing issues. The same issues many children living with autism have. We have an OT who does what is called S.O.S. feeding therapy. We love it and see progress. You could ask your child's doctor to write a perscription for an OT eval and ask your OT if he or she is a person who has been to many trainings in S.O.S.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sorry I don't know but here's a bump
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I also deal with food issues with my 6 Aspergers/ADHD son. I have given up the battle. he needs calories and if all he eats is bread, then its better than nothing. This is not a control issue, its a sensory one. I plan on talkkong to my OT about it, I never thought to go there.
    kjjones91

Answer by kjjones91 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011