How long does it take to potty train a girl?

my husband and I are trying to potty train our 3 1/2 year old daughter and it's like a never ending process. She gets to wear she is almost completely potty trained and then she goes to school and then when she gets home we have to put her back into pull ups. Does anyone know how I can break this process?

krystyneh

Asked by krystyneh at 2:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I quit using pull ups & used cloth training pants. That's the only thing that worked. When they are in pull ups they treat it like a diaper. Sure, its a little messy at first but they learn quicker when there's pee running down their leg!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• ok thank you I'd rather spend more money on doing laundry then having to constantly buy pulls ups :)
    krystyneh

Comment by krystyneh (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter was potty trained in about a month. I skipped thew pull ups all together and put panties on her.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• One of my girls took a year. One potty trained herself pretty much overnight, watching her older sister. One took a few months.
    Anonymous

• okay because I'm trying everything that I can but it's like the minute she's in school I don't know if they just don't take her to the bathroom or what but she's back in pull ups :( it's just getting really annoying and I'm getting mad at her school because it's like they aren't helping with the potty training process.
    krystyneh

Comment by krystyneh (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I had that problem with my oldest son when he was in daycare while I was in college. Not only were they not taking him potty, he was not telling them he had to go. He was scared to for some reason. I don't know why. He was never comfortable going potty any where but home for a long time. Even when I took him when we would go out some where. Now, even as an adult he would rather not go to a public restroom. I just had to stress to the day care that they had to take him frequently as they were sabotaging his potty training. I also told him he would do a special thing each week together if he would not pee himself during the week at day care. That helped too. He look forward to it. I would remind him every morning that we would do a special thing that weekend if he would remember to go potty each day.
    Anonymous

• I'll definitely try that thank you it's just annoying. my daughter loves going potty wherever we go and she asks to go potty but I have a feeling that maybe they are just telling her to go in her pull up :( I'm definitely going to have to stress to her school that they need to take her to the bathroom and I'm getting to the point where I'm going to bring home all of her pull ups that she has there and I'm going to just drop her off with underwear and see if then they will finally realize that I'm serious
    krystyneh

Comment by krystyneh (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter was done completely in less than 2 weeks- we never used pull-ups, jsut regular underwear and we used candy-yeah I know I will have haters for that...but it worked and pretty quickly too. But then I was home with her all day so there was no daycare involved.
    When I worked in one though- we couldn't leave the room unless there was another teacher so...getting them to help may not be so easy
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When my daughter started this school they had to be potty trained before they could attend. She was trained in about six weeks. Go to the bathroom every half an hour and sit on the potty for at least 5 minutes. If she still has accidents then have her go every 15 minutes.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 5:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011