my 11 year old has been swearing like a sailor lately,,what do i do to discipline

i have taken toys/video/games away,,, have put him in timeout..yes..i still use time out,it's better that hitting...... made him write out 50 times i will not swear,etc,,,,,what do you suggest?? help

seexxymama4u2me

Asked by seexxymama4u2me at 8:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My mom used to say that until your older (?) you can only swear in your room alone. She would say just go in there and shut the door. I lost interest real quick and I think taking the thrill away worked for me. I put soap ( natural oatmeal soap) in my sons mouth when he was smaller he hated it so much that he told his dads friends when they said naughty words "watch out my mom will put soap in your mouth!"

mazzoncini-mom

Answer by mazzoncini-mom at 1:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I had a friend whose mom would put a hot pepper flake on their tongue whenever they said a bad word. She said it cured them real fast.
    Anonymous

• do the old soap in the mouth =)
    Anonymous

• Ground him from any kind of socializing! Cell phone, internet, neighborhood friends...........ect. His friends add fuel to the fire!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• most of the time kids at this age are doing it for attention-my son tried that trick-i MADE him say the word over and over again many times(until he had asked to stop several times)-this took all the fun out of it and he didnt say it again-he has wanted to but he catches himself because he knows i will just make him say it again and again and again......
    tallybarry

Answer by tallybarry at 10:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Swear Jar-- if he gets an allowance or money for ANYTHING, he has to put it in the jar.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My kids really don't swear. When they were little and they would say it for shock effect to see what would happen we would do a swearing dance and say them over and over and over. At first they thought it was fun....10 minutes later when we were still goin' my oldest said to me: "Mom, your weird!" then to her sisters: "C'mon, lets go play Barbies." It's never been an issue b/c I don't draw attention to it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My SIL uses vinegar like mouthwash. Her boys are 7 and under and get their mouth rinsed for words like "stupid" instead of true swear words, but it might work for you, too.

You might also try pointing out that doctors, pilots, teachers, etc. (anyone whom he'd admire) don't speak that way and it's not a respectable way to act. Kids that age want to appear grown-up and respectable-tell him it doesn't make him look more grown-up.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• ok, not that your does...but it caught my attention....why would an 11 yr old have a cell phone? Just curious....as far as the swearing like a sailor....he's picking it up from somewhere....where is that? If he's around people who talk like or is allowed to watch tv with language like that the ole "do as I say, not as I do" trick doesn't work. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Answered at 10:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 by: tallybarry
    tally...
    most of the time kids at this age are doing it for attention-my son tried that trick-i MADE him say the word over and over again many times(until he had asked to stop several times)-this took all the fun out of it and he didnt say it again-he has wanted to but he catches himself because he knows i will just make him say it again and again and again......

I LOVE THIS IDEA!
    Anonymous