Isn't it only hind sight which is 20/20?

Those of you that know me know how passionate I am about my beliefs - including my beliefs about vaccines, circing, breastfeeding, chemicals and so on...

I know without a doubt that my beliefs are right, I have the research to back them up. BUT, I was doing some thinking about that, if I look hard enough (or in some cases barely at all) I can find research that supports beliefs completely opposite of mine. And the majority of parents, make the choices they do on these issues because they believe they are doing what is best for their child.

I hear all the time things like " I vaccinated and my kids are healthy" to which I could easily counter "I don't vaccinate and my kids are healthy too." And the argument can go on nearly identically to all of these subjects.

BUT, there are risks on both sides of all of these subjects too. Obviously if a child dies because of the infection they got during a circumcision, hind sight would say they never should have had it done. On the other hand if they die from a kidney infection that could have been prevented with a circumcision the same hind sight argument can be used.

There can even be dangers associated with breastfeeding if the mother is HIV+ or using medications which could harm the baby... And of course there are studies which show that formula fed babies are at a higher risk of obesity and even minor chemical poisonings...

So with VALID research and points on BOTH SIDES of these arguments and the fact that we can't ever truly know which choice is best unless something goes wrong AFTER the choice is made, doesn't it make sense that the arguments stop and simply state our beliefs or support rather than bash others for their choices? Shouldn't we be banning together on the idea that we're all trying to do what is best for our children with the knowledge and understandings we have than to try and rip each other apart because someone makes a choice we don't agree with?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• clappingHear Hear!!

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sabrina, I have so enjoyed you on this site because I can relate ... not only because I am opinionated as hell BUT because I can back up my beliefs as well and offer proof based on my own personal experiences ... I've gathered that you are very much the same. And I'm with you on so many of the same issues re: vaccines and chemicals in our products and in our homes, etc.

I agree with what you are saying. I think that sometimes we need to be heard and validated that we are somewhat (or completely) close-minded to any other way of thinking. For me, I have been preached to and scolded at and downright bullied for my personal beliefs that I've learned to bite back twice as hard. Maybe we all need to turn it down a notch ... life is just too short to deal with all this negativity!!!!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If someone is for advice then yes. If they are looking for a debate then no.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes, you are absolutely right!
    But while everyone is entitled to their choices, not everyone is making educated choices. If you are going to ______ or not going to ______ you should at least know why or why not and be able to uphold your decision.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree with you completely. Unless it is a specific debate question.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• bowing downI don't think anyone could have said it better

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would have to say that even debating can be done without resulting to name calling or insults. And it can be carried out in an intelligent manner with facts and numbers rather than assumptions or guesses...

There are a great many intelligent women on this site, I don't see why these subjects have to continually make so many look arrogant and rude, when in fact they simply mean to educate or debate.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Have to pick your battles seiously. Everything has a good side & a bad side plus there is always research/studies to back up both sides & take both sides down. You have to do as you said take it all into your own hands do your own research & deem for yourself what is safe & not. I have done that with my own daughter & now a days with all these he said she said crap it aint easy at all.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• That's why I rarely look for black and white answers to any topic. Human beings are highly complex creatures, and no mold fits for same for each person. If you vacc'd a child against a disease and they still caught and died from it, should he have ever been vacc'd?

All we can do is make the best choices we can with what we know. We are going to make mistakes, and sometimes there's no way of avoiding something going wrong unless we lived our lives locked in the basement.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Been saying this for a while now myself.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011