Why is cows milk causing my 12 month old baby to have diahrea?

I still nurse my daughter full time along with solids but I tried introducing whole milk even though I will continue to nurse and she got diahrea so bad that she started getting a rash from pooping every hr or two. Im waiting for her doctor to call me back but in the mean time what do you ladies think? Should I just wait till she gets a little older or is there a reason why she is having diahrea (maybe there is something wrong)?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lac tos or an allergy (different things) to milk. My daughter had it, I have it, my whole family does. I'm sure your doc will tell you to hold off a little longer on the milk thing. My daughter was on special formula then at 12 months we were asked to introduce milk of which she had issues then we went back to the formula. At 16 months she overcame the problem. My friends baby though at 14months still has a major issue with it. How it affects & for how long with each baby/person is different. Good luck, she will be fine in the end.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She could be a little intolerant to cow's milk. If it was whole milk, the fat content may have been too rich for her yet - mixing it with expressed breast milk, or starting with 2% then going to whole would help. Could be she had a touch of a little tummy bug and the milk just happened to hit her at the same time as the bug.
    Anonymous

• I agree, probably a sensitivity to the lactose or the milk itself. Many babies grow out of it, but yours probably needs to wait a tad longer for whole milk. If it keeps up, though, it may have been a coincidence. As in, if the diarrhea lasts for days... that may be overkill for just one serving of milk. In that case, probably a stomach bug...but still keep her away from milk for awhile, as it is hard to digest and if she is sick, you don't want to make it worse. Hope the little one feels better soon!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because her stomach can't process the enzymes in cow's milk and it's bad for her.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She might have troubles with the lactose... try some lactose free milk and see if it helps... if not you could try something like almond milk and see if it's the dairy she has the trouble with.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She may be allergic the the cows milk. Sometimes this will pass after they get a little older. With my second she was allergic to cows milkwhen she was 1. it gave her a rash. So we had to give her soy milk. Her doctor said we would introduce it at a later time. Now she drinks it no problem. Good Luck.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• she prolly has some sort of allergy... My daughter had to be on a special formula cuz she had a formula allergy.... but when we trasitioned her to regular milk... she had no problem it was weird. I would stop giving her the milk until you ahve spoken to her dr
    annhart19

Answer by annhart19 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011