Should Stay at Home Parent's receive a tax credit?

I think that SAHP's should get a tax deduction/credit/something!!The at-home parents are hard-working and are applying their talents,experience and education to the full-time care of their children.
A tax credit would acknowledge the values, both professional and financial sacrifices they have made to do this.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a SAHM of a 3 y/o, and a 5 mth. old. Just a small tax credit would help us tremendously. My husband is a police officer, and his income sucks, but we pay our bills..barely, but we do! At this point in time, we cannot afford for me to work. The price of gas/daycare/pay wouldn't even begin to cover it. BUT, I do work very hard at home. And I think it is ludicrus that SAHP's do not get recognized for what they do, as far as contributing to the household! We work harder than people with paying jobs do, and our's never end...okay I'm done ranting now! Yes, we do need something!!
    jamieobrien_84

Answer by jamieobrien_84 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I especially think military dependent SAHP's should get a tax credit.We have to pack up and move our lives every 18 months-3 years. We can’t always work traditional jobs because of deployments,kids,daycare costs, etc.We don't get to establish longevity at employment long enough create a resume worth it's true weight. I remember someone was trying to get legislation passed at one point, but it didn’t make it very far.What do you think it would take for Congress to recognize SAHP’s?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i think that they should since they are still working. i could see not getting any thing if you didn't have kids to take care of.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• it's a great idea! i would definetly support this!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 8:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Absolutely~~~!!!!!!
    ChrisandLiz

Answer by ChrisandLiz at 8:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Oh thank god. I thought you were going the other way with this and I was SO going to be pissed. As a SAHM who works my butt off everyday I would LOVE some sort of credit.
    Anonymous

• But what if the SAHP was on welfare? Do they still "deserve" the credit? Some people are going to say No to that. Even though they are doing the same thing...they are just getting a bit of help doing it. Really I doubt this would ever fly in the United States. In canada, everyone with kids gets some money once a year (not related to income tax returns). I cant recall the name of it maybe someone from Canada knows what I mean though.
    Anonymous

• Well, I think that would depend on what they do contribute into irs/ss with the spouse that is working. If neither is working, then I would have to argue that there is an integral piece of the puzzle missing.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Here is the article I just read:
    http://www.ncpa.org/pi/taxes/feb98x.html
    Some Republicans are promoting adoption of a tax credit for mothers who forgo outside employment in order to care for their young children at home. They say that if working mothers receive subsidies and benefits to have their children cared for by others, shouldn't mothers who reject a paycheck also be rewarded?
    But the tax credit is almost guaranteed not to accomplish its stated goal of encouraging women to forgo work and stay at home with their children -- even if the dollar value of the tax credit for staying at home were exactly equal to the dollar value for day care.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• For example:
    A woman receives a tax credit of up to $2,000 -- either to pay for a day-care provider or to keep for herself if she stays at home to tend her little one.
    Assume that the annual cost of day care is $3,000 and the average aftertax wage of a mother in a family that qualifies for the maximum tax credit is $20,000.
    The mother who continues to work and place her child in day care is out-of-pocket only $1,000, rather than $3,000 -- a two-thirds savings, and a powerful financial incentive to continue using day care.
    A mother who quits her job to stay at home with her child forgoes $20,000 of income and is out-of-pocket $18,000 -- a 10 percent reduction in her sacrifice, and a weak financial incentive to stay at home.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2008