Skin color/birthmark

My daughter is 1/4 black and 1/4 puertorican. When she was born, she had more color than me and a large V shaped red birthmark on her face. She was born at the end of May. After a couple of months, she was quite a bit darker than me and the birthmark seemed to have faded almost completely. Now, at 6 months and coming into winter - people have been commenting on "how white" she is becoming. It is true, she has lightened up alot - and now her birthmark is more noticable again. So my first question is, it isnt like I took her out in the sun, so why was her skin so much darker in the summer, I obviously didnt have her in it long enough to tan. And my second question is, will it be a cycle like this, in the winter her birthmark will be bright and in the summer it will be hardly there? My last question is, why is the rest of her body darker than her face?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby, who is white, was also alot darker at birth. He was born in Dec and he had a tan. Which my mil has native american somewhere in her family and you do see it pop out in children here and there. My other son is totally pale though. Any, in about 4 to 6 months his skin totally changed. He still is darker then his brother, but near as dark as he was.
    Is the birthmark on her forehead? If it is it is very common. It is called a stork bite.
    Anonymous

• Yeah it is on her forehead, like in between her eyebrows
    Anonymous

• my son is black and PR, and my fiancee says its normal for black babys to be darker in the summer, i asked why and he said its probly because you find yourself more indoors during winter. where as during the summer the sun is out, and your more outdoors, not to tan, but it ends up that way. and the angel kisses (stork bite) will go away within the first year. its just blood vessels that had popped during the birth process, hope it helped a lil bit.
    mz_kara808

Answer by mz_kara808 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2008