Car got wrongly towed! Need advice ASAP!

We got a new car in Jan. Before that I had a car and so did my fiance. I am driving the new car and he is driving my old car so we have had his car parked. It's been parked for the last few months. The car still runs and isn't a piece of junk (doesn't look bad) or anything. I come home from work yesterday to find out our apts towed it! I called and they said they thought it was abandoned. WELL when you sign your lease you have to put your car info in the paperwork so they can keep track of everyone's cars. I said well I'm a little(more like ALOT) upset that I didn't receive a notice on my door that it was going to be towed. She said well We have 200+ apts and looking through each one would be too time consuming to find out who's it is. THEN WTH do we have to put that info on the lease if you aren't going to use it? Another thing is my fiance works in the oilfield so he is gone for weeks at a time and his car is a standard that I don't know how to drive. Anyways they said they put a sticker with 24hrs notice before they towed it. I look at his car everyday and I never saw a sticker in plain site. And also, couldn't they have put out notices saying someone please claim this car or it will be towed? We are good tenants! We never get complaints and always pay rent on time. I just feel like this is poor management and they should have to pay to get it out. They could have taken easy steps to find out whose car it was. If they don't plan on paying it for it, we plan on getting a lawyer. Do you think what they did was wrong?

Also, in the lease there is NOTHING about towing parked cars. It only says cars with outdated tags are not allowed, though it doesn't say what action they will take for that.
Please, please, please help! Any advice or opinions or bumps are greatly appreciated!!!

CollinsMommy729

Asked by CollinsMommy729 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• chat with an attorney then go to the office and ask them what they are planning on doing to resolve this issue. show them your lease, etc and up to date tags, have them show you what reawson they had for the tow. Just b/c it sits in the same spot in the parking lot doesn't mean it isnt being driven or is broke down. can they back up their reasoning?
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Here, that is the way it is. If your car is left sitting up in the same spot, they will tow it after a certain amount of time.

Did you put your new car on the paperwork?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yeah report it stolen, or simply take them to small claims court.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• yea i agree with crafty it sure would make you feel better...contact a lawyer and get a free consultation about it or just contact wherever it got towed to and see what they say (they may or may not be much help though)...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 2:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• report it stolen & and tell them you know who took it, your apartment owner!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Ok I ended up calling them back and telling them (politely) exactly how I felt. The assistant manager called her supervisor and they are having the tow company release the car to us free of charge! When I called them the first time I was too upset to think clearly and tell them why I thought it was wrong and I finally got the courage to call back. I am so surprised and very thankful they are doing the right thing!!!! I could have easily called and been rude and hateful but instead I was nice and polite, but secure in my opinion. I guess you really do catch more flies with honey! Thank you all for your help! You all gave great advice!!!!!
    CollinsMommy729

Comment by CollinsMommy729 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011