How can i encourage my daughter to hold her own bottle?

My daughter is just turning 6 months old. Im trying to encourage her to hold her bottle. When we put it infront of her she reaches with her hands to grab it but wont hold on to it. But then other times she will hold on to it but then give up. What steps can i take to slowly get her to hold it on her own. I feel like she can try if she really wanted to but would rather us hold it for her lol
What are some things i can do?

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stop holding it for her. she will do it herself when she sees there is no alternative. simple as that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. One day she will just pick it up and you wont know what to say. =] My daughter wanted too and I could tell she tried very hard, and one day out of nowhere she just did it.
    proudmommy1014

Answer by proudmommy1014 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter is almost 6 months old and isn't really holding her own bottle either. No need to rush her. While you are feeding her, just place her hands on the bottle and show her how to hold it. She will get it soon enough =)
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Princessbeth79- She would have a fit and i would feel horrible if she really couldnt handle holding on to it

Proudmommy1014- Thats sounds more legit lol I just want to know what i can do on my part to help her get there!
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• xxlilmomma- yeah! thats what i have been doing! But she seems to want to wave her hand in the air while she eats...its kinda odd lol It went from waving her arm up and down to hittin herself in the head lol Guess she is just figuring stuff out! lol
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Holding a bottle is neither a milestone or a necessity. Babies should be held while feeding. It is not good for their ears or anything else to be required to lie back and hold their own bottle. It doesn't take that much effort to hold a feeding child.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i didnt say it took effort. My daughter can fall right to sleep if i lay her down in the crib, but i CHOOSE to rock her because i WANT to. Im not trying to get her to hold a bottle because i dont want to have to do it. Why do some moms feel the need to be bitchy on here? I want to help her LEARN. It's not just the bottle. Im also trying to get her to hold objects too..don't even comment if your going to be rude.
    Thank you
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The point is, she never needs to learn how to hold a bottle. And yet, you asked about holding the bottle.

Now, had you said sippy cup or toy, I might have been obliged to give an answer as to how to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Babies will tend to learn to do things they really want to do when they realize they want to do it. You could work to train her to hold her bottle, but chances are, she will spontaneously start doing so if it is something she wishes to do.
    Short of her really wanting to do it and figuring it out herself, I'd be inclined to not push the idea and allow her to say what she may be saying... "I'd rather you snuggle me while I eat, Oh Favorite Person/Center of My Universe." (insert winsome infant smile)
    dancingWNC

Answer by dancingWNC at 6:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• maybe you should try getting her to learn how to hold her own sippy cup, then use bottle time as a special bonding time for you and baby. just a suggestion :)
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 9:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011