Pumping, how much at one time?

For those of you who pump, how much do you pump at one time and how often? Mine starts out at 5oz total in the morning pumping then 3 oz around lunch, and 2oz early afternoon.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 2:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I pumped, I could get 3-4 oz in the morning while nursing, and 0.5-2 oz at other times during the day. All total amounts, both sides combined.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It really varies from person to person. I believe average pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz per session, from both breasts combined. I didn't EP, so I can't accurately answer, but I did pump a lot when DS was still in NICU, and I would pump about 8 oz per session before I stopped, though I could have easily pumped more each session had I wanted to. That was early on though, when my milk first came in and I was in oversupply mode. The amounts I pumped were NOT average, they were way above.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I only pump like this four days/week during work, but then nurse before and after work and during the night if she wakes up, and no pumping on 3 days/week when I'm with DD.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I usually could get anywhere from 2-4 ounces so it sounds like you're doing great. And I always got the most in the morning, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was pumping 5oz (total) 5x a day while ds3 was in the NICU
    Amomand4kids

Answer by Amomand4kids at 4:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011