Lice and long hair? Ugh!

My DD is 3 and has waist length curly hair (never cut). I am fairly sure I saw a louse in her hair as I was combing it (she had been scratching this AM).

Are there any tips for LONG HAIR lice removal and treatment? I don't want to cut it.

I've already started a hair treatment and my checklist has sealing up her big stuffed animals, washing all of the rest in hot water (and bedding) and vacuuming her room.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had head lice she got from a rental car. She also had long hair! I didnt want to cut it, so i put in the 2 hours a treatment 2 times a day to comb them all out! It takes time and patience, but that was the decision I made. Also, invest in a black light, you can see the lice that way. When you do her hair, put gel in it and keep it in tight braids, the lice cant jumb with the gel, keeps it from spreading around the house! Good luck! Also if she is in day care or go to a sitter, you have to notify them so they can treat their things as well!
    DLCarter2011

Answer by DLCarter2011 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Saturate her hair in olive oil, wrap it in one of those plastic shower caps, and let her sleep in it all nite.

In the morning, the little critters will be dead and they will be easy to get out of her hair. Then wash out the oil; it may take a few washes but it will also leave her hair silky and beautiful and critter-free!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the advice, ladies. I didn't know that about the gel keeping them from jumping/spreading. It took me all of The Little Mermaid (including FastPlay previews and credits and music videos!) to comb through her hair. But it's treated and tightly braided up now!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011