Birthplans anyone????

prdVirgobby

Asked by prdVirgobby at 3:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't bother writing one... I spent a lot of time going over things with my midwives, things were noted in my chart .... they have a special section for that kind of stuff. My hubby also knew what I wanted & didn't want. It all worked out, I was very happy with both experiences!! Communication is key!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Are you looking what someone has in a birth plan? Ideas for birth plans? Formatting for birth plans? or a definition?
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• all except for the efinition...sorry i should have been more clear lol
    prdVirgobby

Comment by prdVirgobby (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have a very elaborate one. I can email it to you if you like so you can look at the format and how it is laid out. Mine is so detailed because even though my doula, DF and I know what I want (ideally speaking of course because these are really just wishes for what you would like) I am under the care of a midwife practice that shares nurses with a traditional OB practice. The OB practice and the midwife practice do things completely differently and I just wanted the nurses to be informed of my wishes instead of just doing things how they are used to on the OB side.

Message me if you want me to email you a copy.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I didn't write out a birth plan, DH and I just talked it over together. I had my ideal of how things would go, laboring at home until it was time to go to the hospital, using my coping techniques like breathing, walking, etc to deal with the pain and reserving the right to get an epidural if I felt it was getting to be too much. Then I think it is important to have a plan of what to do if things don't go how you expect. I ended up being induced, so laboring at home at all went out the window, walking around wasn't an option becaues I was hooked up to all the monitors, etc. Because I had kind of planned for different things I didn't feel freaked out that nothing was going the way I wanted, I felt able to adapt and be flexible. Another thing to consider is the possibility of needing a c-section and making sure you have good support at the hospital and at home so you can recover and care for baby. Plan, and then back up plan.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My birthplan- get an epidural! I hate being in pain! Thankfully I git it. It's nice to have a birthplan, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't go like you want it. The important thing is that the baby and mom come out fine in the end!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 3:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wrote one with my first and I think that it was a waste of time so I have never written one again. It seemed like they may have glanced at it but really had no idea what was on it besides me and I didn't need to write the things down for my own benefit.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Gee. Thanks for the down vote. And for what? Because I spent the time to write a birth plan and inform my care providers and labor support of my wishes? Not everyone is ok with getting an epidural or a c-section just because "labor is taking too long".

It's your birth. It's an extremely important moment in your life and it's a shame to just hand it over to whoever walks through the door.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 8:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Meandrphoto------I"ll send you a pm in a few so we can dicuss the birthplan!!!Sorry someone voted you down=( I voted you right back up LOL
    prdVirgobby

Comment by prdVirgobby (original poster) at 7:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks, prd, I guess some women would just rather not learn anything about their own birth and just experience it how others think they "should". I emailed you my copy. I hope it gives you some ideas!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2011