Have you ever questioned your beliefs?

What was your thought process and what conclusion did you come to? What made you question them in the first place? Any belief or religion or thought process is welcome.

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christian and I question many things about Christianity, Jesus, God, Holy Spirit, and the bible. I know that my God is strong enough to handle my questions and my doubt.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Very rarely. I am a Christian woman with a lot of faith in my Lord Jesus. Sometimes I wonder why bad things happen to great people and I (and so do many) forget that there is also a Devil out there running wild.
    HeartCharmMama

Answer by HeartCharmMama at 3:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yup, hence why I left.

I never had even though of questioning my beliefs before, it was considered bad cuz that meant we were letting Satan in and making God sad and you never wanted that.

But I saw a news program and the next day I started looking up stuff that had been discussed and for some reason I kept getting links to my specific church's history and such. Needless to say I found out some very shocking things about its history and such and thats when I knew my life was changed forever.
    Then I looked further into Christianity and what I believed and went on a journey. Still on my journey but Im more grounded and more willing to question and accept the answers and I no longer walk around with hidden guilt and fear about it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes, and in my search for what I felt was right, I found myself headed right back to Jesus.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Of course. Which is why my Faith is now stronger than ever.
    Anonymous

• I think that everyone has questions to everything its human nature. that said when I found Jesus he was a sure thing the real deal and i dont need to question Him because his ways are higher than mine I cant be God he has to be God to me!!
    mammaangelof4

Answer by mammaangelof4 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• All the time. But since I'm not involved with a dogmatic religion, that's ok, as I have no one to "answer to" and no one judging me. My thought process is simply that someone brings up a good point, I think about it, and I decide that I like that explanation or whatever, that it makes sense to me, and I adopt it as my own. This applies to a lot of things in my life, not just to specific religious doctrines.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I am an Atheist. Save for the sky splitting open and being plucked off the earth by a giant hand, nothing is going to change that.

I was raised in a fundie home. I questioned their beliefs, and every other beliefs system/religion I encountered, then I sought out more and questioned them to the point of exhaustion... in the end, I simply could not force myself to believe in a myth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was always questioning being a Christian, even as a child. It never felt right to me. I was told to never question God or the Bible. That did nothing but build resentment. I guess that's one of the good things about getting married at 15 ... I was freer to search out what I really believed without constantly being condemned for it.

I am a happy Pagan who has a firm belief in God and no defined religion.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was raised Christian, so I do have a Christian foundation to my perception of the Divine and the world around me, etc. But I was always encouraged to follow my own convictions, and to question and dig. So I'm constantly studying and reading and discussing and shaping my beliefs. I still consider myself a Christian (Universalist), but my faith is always in a state of cultivation and growth. I believe faith isn't meant to be a stagnant arrival at a set of beliefs, but a process of applying those beliefs and cultivating those beliefs while also cultivating ourselves and our humanity. Anything I come across that I believe can be incorporated in my personal faith or cultivation, I have no qualms with incorporating it. So I pull from various religions and understandings in my personal faith, and am always open to new voices.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011