What do you think would be the best dog to give to a 17month old?

proudmommy1014

Asked by proudmommy1014 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A stuffed animal one :)
    Anonymous

• A stuffed animal.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Jinx!
    CraftingMama

• She loves dogs and is always great with them when she goes to her Uncles house. I was told to get her a Lab but wasn't sure if there would be a better choice.
    proudmommy1014

Comment by proudmommy1014 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• when my son was a year old i had him a puppy lab and he loved it and the puppy loved him the puppy grew up to portect him if anyone but me or his daddy came around him that dog got pertected but not like growling or nothing it just watched every moved it made so if u get a dog get one as a puppy so that it grows with ur child and not against it.
    lilma966

Answer by lilma966 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Lab puppies are uncoordinated, huge, and inadvertently destructive. I would seriously hold off on getting her a puppy until she's 5 or 6.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Love the "stuffed one" answer, but we got our daughter an English Mastiff at that age. YES!!! He grew to be huge - eventually. But . . .
    1) They are completely gentle
    2) He almost never barks - only if threatened
    3) He let he do anything - we have pics of her swinging from his tail!

At 7 years old he is about 225 pounds, but pretty low energy (because of his size), and if you feed high quality food "output" (LOL) is low.
    CallMeLisa

Answer by CallMeLisa at 3:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The kind you are willing to properly train :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thank you ladies. We have alot going on...I take care of my mother-in-law due to dimentia and I'm due in August. I want her to have something that is hers before the new baby comes. We are going to discuss it some more than see what happens.
    proudmommy1014

Comment by proudmommy1014 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If you have all that on your plate I definitely wouldn't get a dog. They are a lot of work and since your dd is still too young to take any responsibility for it, you will be the one taking care of it. You might want to look into something else...even a cat would be a lot less work.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011