How well do you know your in-laws?

I know my in-laws did not approve of me at first, but I am sticking with my husband so they better get used to it. They were not supportive of me at first but yesterday they said something nice to me after 7 years of marriage. I did find it comforting. It surprised me big time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I know them fairly well after being with their son for 18 years. I typed FIL's story for a family book he made - he was a Holocaust survivor. So I know that very intimately. He always called me his 4th daughter. MIL loaned me her pearl earrings on our wedding day and then refused to take them back. I think they accepted me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I know them fairly well. They only live about 5 miles away so we see them quite often. I love them and they love me. We spend a lot of weekends with them at their beach house.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Very well; of course, I've been married 26 years and we have spent a lot of time with them. My FIL was a Holocaust survivor too!
    Anonymous

• I would say I know them very well. I have known them for 17 years, I met them when I was 14 and have been hanging out at their house ever since (dh and I didn't start dating until we were 21). They are the most kind, generous people that I know. They love their grandkids like I have seen no one love their grandkids. My mil has been there for me through a lot with my mother. They are just amazing people and I am glad I have them in my life.
    Anonymous

• Well, I've know them for nearly 20 years so pretty well. Doesn't make dealing with them any easier.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My FIL and I get a long great.. however my MIL and SIL are very hesitant towards me. They seem very protective over my DH and SD. I think they think I was going to be one of the girls he dated before. However we are married now and tehy both still act that way. The thing that hurts the most is that I am due in less than 2 months and they do not seem interested at all about my LO coming. Such is life...
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Way too well - and not really by choice ;). A few years ago for their anniversary, SIL wanted to surprise them with a scrapbook. I'm the only one who lives within viewing distance of their house, to know when they were home or not without calling, so every time they left I had to run over and dig through all their old pictures, mementos, etc, to find stuff for the scrapbook. I was their "mouse", lol, is what FIL said after the fact, and he still, years later, loves to tell people about the "mouse" that they had in their house. But yeah, I came across way more info than I ever needed, had to go through places in their house I didn't really want to, etc.
    Anonymous