How Did You Best Transistion from Baby food to Table food at age 1?

I am really having a hard time with this. It's not that my son doesn't want normal food, it's my family over stepping and trying to control how Dh and I are raising our son.

Any advice is welcomed! Thanks in advance to those who answer!

OhSara87

Asked by OhSara87 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids were pretty much on table food from the time they were 7 months old. Here's a bump!
    Anonymous

• Tell them to shove it. Your kid and your decision.

At a certain point my daughter just wanted table food, so I started giving it to her.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-baby-led-solids-is-and-isnt.html

Baby led solids.

Just hand them food on their tray and they can feed themselves and control their intake.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We didn't transition, we never really did pureed foods. We just put foods on their tray and let them pick it up. What does your family have to do with feeding your son? Tell them to butt out.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We never did the commercial babyfood thing. I had a babyfood grinder & always gave him "table" food.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We live with our family for now until we can find a place of our own. So they feel they can control what goes on. It's gotten to the point where I don't even get up before my son, they insist I sleep in that way they get "quality" time with ds.
    OhSara87

Comment by OhSara87 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• if the baby is on bottles it's time to stop those, try using a sippy instead. but if baby is on breast it's ok, it's much easier on teeth and gums. it sounds really nice to be able to sleep in, i think they are trying to be helpful you know. i can see your frustration though. it's time for baby to try to eat, just let him lead the way. give him pieces of finger foods and maybe a spoon. sure, he will make a mess but i never met a baby that didn't enjoy it and didn't clean up later.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Um..wow, I see the bitchy down vote fairy has made a visit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I tried pureed foods at 6 months, I made my own, but my baby hated it. So now, at 7 months, I finally have her eating with us and she usually eats what we do. I add lots of veggies to olur meals and add organic foods and cut them up so the baby can eat what we do and I don't have to cook extra foods.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You need to kindly advise your family that they are not the parents and it isn't their place to parent your child. That you and your husband have it under control and will ask IF you need advice.

With my son and daughter (now one and two) I tried pureed foods at 4 months, but they didn't really take to it until about five months. I started all three meals at five months along with a bottle. (One jar of pureed food and a five ounce bottle) Then when they turned 11 months I started testing them out with solid foods. I put the food on their plate and allow them to investigate and they chose when they were comfortable with putting it in their mouth. I have found that is the best way, so they are comfortable and can choose how to manage the food themselves. It teaches them better hand eye coordination as well, rather then you feeding it to them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011