If there is a 4-5yr difference in you & your siblings.

If there is a 4-5yr difference in your ages between you & your sister/brother how was your relationship growing up? How is it now?
Do you think 4-5yr gap is good or bad?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am 3 years older than my first brother and 6 years older than my 2nd. We were ALL close growing up. During our HS years we were doing our own things, but that is normal for ANY set of siblings. Now a days, we are still very close. I talk to both of my brothers 1 to 2 times a week, meet them for lunch, have them over for Bulls games, etc.

My kids are 4 years apart, and I find it PERFECT. My DH is one year older than his sister, and HATES it. He said it was horrible to have his sister in high school with him especially. lol So he REALLY wanted to SPACE our kids.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• we growing up we fought ofcourse just like any other pair of siblings. but as we got older we got closer and now we both are adults we are super close.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• when i give birth to my second child there will be a 6 yr age difference between my kids. kinda a BIG age difference but oh well.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• There is a 6-year difference between my sister and myself and we are the closest of siblings and absolute best friends; we always have been!
    Anonymous

• I am 4 years older than my sister, 7 years older than one brother and 8 years older than the other brother. Growing up, I was like their mom and I was always watching them, so they were not that fond of me for a long time. My sister and I don't really get along great but I love her and always will. I am closest with the youngest, he is the most mature. NOW, my boys are 6 years apart and I LOVE the gap. They are appreciative of eachother, play well together and the oldest dotes on his brother.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my sis is 35, my bro is 33 and im 28...so theres a 5yr and a 7 yr.....growing up i idolized my sister!! omg i wanted to be just like her, i thought she was the most prettiest person in the world, i had crushes on all her bf's..LOL and yet she wanted nothing to do with me..LOL!!! i remeber spying on her thru her bedroom door, just watching her put her makeup on in the mornings..lol. and me and my brother got along awesome!! he always always playing with me...basketball, volleyball, trampoline, tennis on the road, cards, took me on bike rides..it was AWESOME! nowadays.....we still get along...we talk.....we dont "hang out" tho.....my bro lives 15 minutes away...my sis lives 9 hrs away...so she comes down a few times a year (spring break, summer and christmas) and stays with me for a couple weeks.....which is fun!! however.,.my brother and my sister..do NOT get along :( i am definetley more open to my sister tho.....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• HATE IT!

There are 6.5 years between my brother and I.  We have different life views, we never played together.  He does not show up in my childhood memories.  We are JUST now getting close - Im 43 he is 36.

My oldest two are 2 yrs apart... then 4 yrs later we had our third.  I now have a 16, 14, and 10 yr old.  The poor 10 yr old is always being drug around from sporting event to sporting event, she hasnt had nearly the fun childhood her siblings have.  And the other day she started to cry saying that when she is in high school (sports) no one (sibs) will be here to cheer her on.  She also asked who will she talk to when she is in high school and has a friend problem because her sibs will be off in college or living on their own.

I HATE IT.

Anonymous

• There is 4 years between my brother & I. We were fairly close as kids, not so much during the teen years, but we're friends as adults, just not super close.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• theres a 7 year difference between me and my first sibiling we got along fine then my dad had my sister when i was i think 12 and we are pretty close ... 8 year later ... its complicated but we have fought and laughed and cried ... large gaps are great and fine
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have a brother who is 5 years older than myself, we fought normally nothing out of the ordinary as kids, but always knew that were blood related and loved. As adults we have always been there for each other in the good and in the bad. It really doesn't matter what the disparity of age is as long as you emphasize that there is nothing out there better than family and family love. If you do this to your children they will grow up to have a good relationship as adults no matter how much they fight.

Answer by older at 3:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011