Back labor...

I have been having back pain today and I was wondering if in back labor it hurts only in one spot or all over? Also, how common is it? I am having bh contractions, cramping, and A LOT of back pain but it's all over my back to the point it makes me shake. Not only in one spot. I am 37 weeks pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Probably contractions....Have you dilated any? Are you effaced? If so, you are probably going into labor or it might be false labor! Time it.... 5 minutes apart or less go to the hospital!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 8:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i had back labor and it hurt in my very lower back and it wrap[ped around. it was so bad i couldnt handle it =( good luck tho
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Yes I was dialated to a one at my last appointment Monday. I don't know about being effaced. Is that something the doctor can only tell you or can you tell yourself? Is the back labor painful all over?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like labor to me too. Back labor is very common and occurs when the baby is facing your belly button instead of your tailbone. Try having DH or someone rub a tenis ball on your back or dig their thumbs into either side of your tail bone. Or even better get the shower going really hot and aim it right on your lower back. Good luck and congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Effaced is the softening of the cervix that allows it to dilate. Only the doc can tell you about it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Back labor is horrible! My pain was all over my lower back....
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 8:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• honestly that sounds like you should be timing those babies!! drink water lay on your left side and see if it subsides if not try to time them, if they are able to be timed then its labor. i had back labor really bad and it went all over my back and wrapped around to the top of my "area". my baby was "sunny side up" meaning when i attempted to push her out her eyes were towards the ceiling, not the floor which is why they say i had back labor!! good luck =)
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Back labor can be different from woman to woman, but for me it was mostly in my lower back, stretching to about halfway up. As the contractions worsened, the pain seemed to creep even further up my back. If it's bad enough to make you shake, I would definitely start timing that pain! You could definitely be having back labor!

Good luck...I hope for your sake that it's NOT back labor. :( :( :( :( I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Back pain is awful....it can be all over, it can be in only one place. There's really no rule that labor follows when it comes down to it. Because you're only 37 weeks and only at a 1 I would guess that your body is really just getting ready to labor. That can take weeks...it's just part of it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I had back labor and it was just in my lower back I didn't even feel a slight bit of pressure in my abdomen also b4 that I had severe syatic nerve pain
    ladybugsmommy08

Answer by ladybugsmommy08 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008