How much food?

I just started by 4.5 month old on solids and I can't figure out how many times during the day I should offer her the solids. She takes five bottles a day. I have been giving her rice cereal after her second bottle and a vegetable (she doesn't like fruits) after her fourth bottle. Is this enough? She only takes about 3 to 4 tablespoons and then seems very uninterested. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that offering it to her is great! But just remember that this is practice time...food is not necessary for a baby of that age, so what you are doing is great, especially if you are doing it daily. Get her used to the spoon and eating things off of it, and when she is about 6 months old (really, that 1.5 months DOES make a difference!) revisit the question about how much.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son was a total pig so he a lot and all the time. But, around that age my dr said he recommended offering about a tablespoon of food with each bottle, if they don't eat it fine, if they want more it's fine to let them have more. Just make sure she doesn't get so much that it begins to interfere with her bottles.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• A 4.5 month old has no place eating solids. Stop offering them and wait until she is six months old. If your pediatrician told you okay, he's wrong and going against the American Association of Pediatrics recommendation.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you are doing it the right way. I started my baby around that time just with rice cereal and some vegetables. My pediatrician recommended it due to the fact my baby was hungry all the time. Good luck!!
    mandy5481

Answer by mandy5481 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree with the Anonymous poster, 4.5 is too young for any solids.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 9:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• 4.5 months is NOT too young to offer solids. Please don't scare this poor mama. Ideally waiting until 6 months is best but it is not harmful or offer her cereal and baby food at 4.5 months.

To the OP: At her age solids are not even necessary. Do you breastfeed or formula feed? If you BF your child can actually go up until 12 months old with nothing but BM...however most babies start feeling the need to get fuller before that. If your baby isn't showing signs of being hungry after bottles then I would relax about the solids as much as you can. I would suggest really only giving her cereal once a day at this age. Maybe at bedtime to help her feel fuller and sleep longer. But please keep her main diet on the formula or breast milk...it's really ALL she needs at this time.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008