Doctor said she would be fine but I'm still worried about my baby!!!

I feel so helpless, today she ended up catching a cold her nose was runny she was running a minor fever and her ears were stuffy. Then late this afternoon her temperature rose to 103.6 degrees so I ushed her to the emergency room at the hospital and all they did was give alittle medicine and wait for the fever to go down. A few hours later her fever went down to a 99.5 and the doctor said she'd be fine. We came back home and Im so worried something bad is going to happen to her because shes still acting really sickly. Is there any more I can do for my baby girl? Please Help this is the first time this has happened to her and me go through the stress. She will be a year old in a few weeks.

HollyRose

Asked by HollyRose at 8:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll be fine.
    As long as you keep her fever under 103 don't worry about the fever. A fever won't hurt her - it is actually her body's way of getting better. Give her motrin or tylenol to help keep the fever under 103 and to make her more comfy. Give her lukewarm baths (not cold) if the medicine alone isn't keeping the fever down. If she runs the fever for more than 3 days or medicine and baths won't bring it down - go to the doctor.
    Run a humidifer in her room to help keep her hydrated and to help thin out the muck in her nose.
    Don't worry if she doesn't want to eat. Give her pedialyte to keep her hydrated. If she will drink milk, great but don't worry if she won't. Just make sure she drinks the pedialyte. The biggest danger to her (or you when you are sick) is dehydration. Her body fat will carry her through without food but she needs the fluid and water alone won't do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I know that it is hard to see your baby sick, but it really does happen. Keep an eye on her fever...its really all you can do. You did the right thing by taking her to the doctor and having her symptoms looked at. My daughter had a horrible time teething and would spike a REALLY high fever (104+) with every tooth but they get through it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Her fever is a sign that she is fighting the virus (I'm assuming it is a virus) so that's a good thing and you just need to make sure and control the temperature and keep her hydrated. I know how you feel! I hope she gets better soon.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 8:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It maybe an ear infection. My kids would almost always get a high fever after a cold and it would always be an ear infection. Just give her tylenol for pain and fever and if it's not better in about 3 days take her back to the doctor.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Also get her a pediatric decongestant. It will help her ears and her nose.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Keep the fever down with the tylenol and keep feeding her. Odds are if she is stuffy, she isn't eating that great, but you want to keep getting those fluids in her. If you are nursing (This is going to sound weird but I swear it works) you can drop some expressed milk into her nose, let it sit for minute, then use the ball syringe to get it back out. That will help clear out her nose. Good luck! I hope she feels better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008