I stepped on christmas lights on Sunday and one went up into my foot. I went and got a tetanus shot Monday cause I had not had one in 13 years. Do I still need to worry about Tetanus? Thanks

Just wondering

RileysMommy1004

Asked by RileysMommy1004 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Health

• i thought tetanus was generally related with rust getting into a cut????
    Anonymous

• You should be okay on tetanus, but don't be surprised if you have lots of side effects. I had to get one this fall and all of my joints were achy and my arm hurt bad enough to be concerned about it. Not to scare you but I remember reading something about Christmas lights being made with lead or other toxic junk that's not really controlled because your not supposed to eat them or off of them, but the article concluded that you're supposed to wash your hands after putting them up because of toxic stuff staying on your hands. I don't remember it exactly, but might be worth looking into if you start having strange health problems. GL

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 9:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Thanks, I did wash the wound right away and I have continued to wash it and clean with preroxide and use bandaid and neospurn.

I was just wonding about weather I could still get tetanus since I got the shot with in 24 hours. I forgot to ask the doctor and she is now out of town until friday.

Thanks for bring up the lead I did find the article about it. As for side effects I have a sore warm red arm and have had a headache since yesterday. But the doctor said to expect it.
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you got a tetanus shot, you should be fine .. hope your foot feels better
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Why would you worry about getting tetanus from Christmas lights anyway? But regardless, if you got the shot for it then obviously your fine and protected for about another 10 years.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You can get tetanus from any wound, even a scrap and the saying a rusty nail is not entirely true. You can get tetanus from even a splinter.
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2008