Due you prefer a male or female medical provider?

I say medical provider because I know some people have a midwife. But do you like having a male or a female provider for your pregnancy? I've been thinking of going with a female doctor this time mostly because I've never had one.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Male.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 5:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Female, you will be comfortable with her. Because she can understand you more then a male
    reem114

Answer by reem114 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was pretty comfortable with my male provider last time but he was a GP so now I have to choose an OB and I'm just uneasy with some of these choices.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• As an adult i've preferred a female health care provider, but when I got pregnant, I was considered high risk because of my age/health conditions. My GP highly recommended a specialist who happened to be male. He was great! And, fortunately, I had an pretty uneventful pregnancy.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It doesn't really matter to me as long as they are there to catch the baby.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I prefer female, because they understand a woman better and I like to support other women.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Doesn't matter, as long as I'm comfotable with the person... My midwife is a woman, and the OB we had to turn to for an emergency delivery is a male.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• As long as you are comfortable it doesn't matter. I personally have had male Dr. 1 reason for my first dr. was he was my husbands family dr so he would see me and I trusted him. I changed dr after my first son because that dr stopped seeing OB's. I then changed clinic and towns. I live in a rural part of Iowa so at the time I was looking for a new OB dr there were no females. I was luck to find another dr I felt comfortable with. There are now female dr that deliver babies but I have no changed dr. I have kept my male dr.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• well I had males with both of mine....but to me your not going to care when it comes down to it...lol...
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 12:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2011