What is the best way to keep my dd who is 18 months quiet at a funeral?

The funeral is a long way from home so we are taking the whole family with us, so we can't just find a babysitter. So what are some ideas to help keep her quiet. I will sit in the back so if she is too noisy I can take her out.

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she understand and communicate well? If so, you can explain it to her and explain how she needs to be quiet.

If not, I'm not sure. My son sat quietly because I explained and he understood.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sometimes you can't.

My mom allowed my little sister to chew an entire pack of gum at my great grandpa's funeral when she was 2. Apparently, chewing up the gum and spitting it in my mother's hand was very entertaining.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You might not be able to or she might surprise you and be quiet when you ask her to. My daughter was 15 months old at my grandfather's funeral and was quiet right up until the end. My mom was holding her and sitting down in front of me. My daughter only started crying when she looked back at me at the exact wrong moment because I finally couldn't hold it in any longer and cried. Maybe you could just have something for her to hold and play with. That might go a long way toward helping her be as quiet as possible.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• As someone who had to entertain my 17 month old DD during a lecture last night, I feel your pain. And yet, she was pretty good for a while. Make sure your toddler is fed and rested as much as possible before the service. See if you can slip a book or two into your purse. I'm sorry you're having to go to a funeral. I wish you the best and hope it goes smoothly.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My son was 17 months at my husband's funeral. My mom held him in the back while he giggled at everyone around him. I thought people would be upset, but afterward many said that he lightened the mood. Try to get her napped, fed and maybe let her run off some energy prior. Sneak some books or dolls in for her to entertain herself.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'd see if family or friends there can line up someone who can sit in the nursery with the child. We left our littles with family when we had to go to funerals (haven't had one in a few years, thank goodness).
    Anonymous