I've never broken a bone in my life, my 5 year old DD just broke her left arm - will she be able to still write and draw in school?

My DD was playing with her sister and one of her cousins when she fell and rolled down a hill, her elbow was swollen and she screamed in pain every time she moved her left arm so I brought her to the ER and she has a hairline fracture just above her elbow. She is in a splint until the swelling goes down and will then get a cast, sadly she'll have a cast on her entire arm and she's left handed. I've never broken a bone so I was wondering if she'll still be able to write and draw in school even with a cast on.

anon1986East

Asked by anon1986East at 5:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• barely,but kids find a way of adapting somehow

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes she will be fine. So sorry for your lil Princess :(
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my brother broke his arm when he was 5 and is now an amazing pitcher. She will be ok I'm sure

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When my sister was little she was climbing on monkey bars got half way across got tired and dropped and she fell on her arm and broke it. It was her right arm and she is right handed. She did just fine in school she was able to write and everything kids find a way to adjust. She was even doing cartwheels on her arm. Remember to take a picture of this memory.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 5:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I work in an orthopedic office with 15 providers. I see lots and lots of kids with broken bones not to mention my DS broke both bones in his forearm and needed surgery to repair the fracture. She should be able to write even if her hand is in the splint/cast bc her fingers will be free.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'm sure she will adapt while she's in the cast; and the bones should heal fine. Make sure you feel confident with your child's doctor. My son had a wrist fracture at age 3 - and I was heartbroken. He didn't get bothered at all - he didn't even complain. He's six now, and doesn't even remember it - until I bring out the pictures! Your DD will be fine!

Bostonsbest

Answer by Bostonsbest at 5:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Like the others said she'll adapt. My best friend growing up broke her left wrist roller skating when she was like 10 (she ran into someone, fell and one of her friend ran over her arm). She's left handed. She actually learned to write with her right hand because she said it was quicker than trying to write with her left but she was able to do all the things she normally did expect play basketball (she was on her school team). She did still practice shooting but with her right hand. By the end of the year she improved her shooting drastically because of being forced to shoot with her right. The hardest part was the first week or so when her hand was so swelled up she couldn't move her fingers.
    I know I fractured my ankle at 4 1/2 and had a cast on my leg and it never slowed me down.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• So this isn't really answering your question, but I want to share it - DH was a lefty when he was young. I don't remember his age, but he had a pot of fresh hot coffee spill all down his left arm (he's the age than pajamas were that stuff that melted) and his pajamas melted to him, burned him bad. His whole arm was wrapped from elbow to fingertips for a few weeks, and in that time, he had to do everything right handed - now at 37 years old he writes right, eats right, etc, but bats, golfs, and shoots (he's a hunter, gun & bow) left because that eye is still dominant.

But anyway, yes, she'll still be able to do it, just not well or easily, so you may have to work with her to keep up her lefty skills or she may be an ambi like DH when she's older - I just like to call him weird, lol!
    Anonymous