Amniosentesis

has anyone had it done, what was it like? I'm suppose to go in two weeks and I'm terrified.....

SimplyJassy

Asked by SimplyJassy at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had an amnio with my first child, back in 1998. The ultrasound we had came back with a possibility of down's syndrome. It was a hard decision, but I elected to go with the amnio. Not for termination should it come back positive for downs, but I'm the kind of person who needs to know things to prepare. Anyway, it was a little painful (nothing compared to child birth), and be sure to follow your doctor's advice for aftercare. You should be fine!!
    momof3gremlins

Answer by momof3gremlins at 5:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I did
    They use Lidocaine to numb a small area of your tummy and use ultrasound to guide the needle. All I felt was slight pressure and had mild cramps later that day into the next

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks for asking this, I asked the same thing bc I might have to get it done in a couple of weeks.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• yes the postive test for down syndrome is why I'm doing it... i just have to know even if it was just the blood work...
    SimplyJassy

Comment by SimplyJassy (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011