Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think there is any circumstance that a parent should NOT pay child support?

my husband doesn't think the judge will order his ex wife to pay child support. He thinks she will play her victim role and the judge will not make her pay anything.
they already got a divorce and he said he didn't want anything from her(he was making $75,000/yr then). and the judge agreed to that-- strange, same county and my sis said she wanted nothing from her son's father and the judge didn;t agree and made him pay some small amount like $25/wk.
so, hubs lost that job, and we have gone without lights for a day at a time, twice. He had to get his son on free/reduced lunch at school... even when he started making OK money, the bankruptcy was taking $350/wk, so our family of 4 was living off of $800 a month. I say she needs to pay child support.
her situation is that she has no real home, she goes from boyfriend to boyfriend to daughter and back around again, and that she is 51 yrs old.... hubs is 33, they were together like 15 yrs, yeah, do the math, she "married" him when he was 17 and she was 35. he thinks they will feel sorry for this "poor old lady", and we will just end up wasting time and money pursuing this. Anybody have any experience similar? should we try to get some child support?

Answer Question

Asked by TXColter at 5:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 15 (2,276 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I think you should try to get CS. It doesn't matter if she is a poor old lady or not. She needs to contribute to her child's upbringing.

    Answer by lilangilyn at 5:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • she should pay!

    Answer by Tia23sb at 5:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • File a change of circumstance with your child support office, and see what happens.

    Answer by other_mother at 5:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • it doesnt matter if anyone has a pot to piss in, child support will be granted ... then you'll have to take her back to court when she cant pay. they will suspend her license and give her jail time... ( which will give her a place to sleep and eat while serving her time).

    Answer by kkbird at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • OH WOW! thank yall so much :) And don't think she has no where to stay.... she always manipulates somebody into taking her in. And she has a car she can pay on, but not her own child? You have no idea about this lady.... you guys should read some of my journals about her.
    But the biggest thing is that he said he didn't want her money at the divorce hearing.... is that going to be a factor at all? And he is making great money again, will that be a factor either? And she was fraudulently claiming him on her income tax, and she has to keep insurance on him, but won't let us use it, like we have to use my hubby's insurance to get his sports physicals and what not, no big deal, but he has scoliosis, and I just know we will be responsible for that completely.

    Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • oh, and we are not even in the system (child support/attorney general's office) We already tried to go that route hoping to not have to get a lawyer, but since it was not ordered in the divorce, they couldn't do anything with it.

    Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I would go back to pursue child support. I don't think there is ever a good reason for one parent to not be financially responsible for the children they create.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.