What is kindergarten like for your kids?

I remember being in kindergarten and really enjoying it... it was mostly play, and even the learning parts were fun! But my oldest niece and nephew were both in kindergarten 9 years ago, and it was already starting to be really structured and academic focused. They only had 15 minutes at the end of the day to play! Now I am studying education, and I observed in a kindergarten class where it was just ALL academic! These kids were reading, writing and doing math ALL day long. No art, no recess, no free playing, no show 'n' tell... they didn't even get to choose their own BOOKS to read, it had to be text books! The teacher said the principal had come and removed all of the toys from the room because of NCLB, the kids have to be really cracking down on academics. In fact, the teacher hid her puzzles and playdough just so she could use them from time to time with the kids! This is a public school, not some sort of super rigid private school.
IF your kids are in kindergarten, or recently were, was it like this?

NickiKidsOnGo

Asked by NickiKidsOnGo at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are 9 months, 2 yo, 9, 11, and 13 so some of them have been in kindergarten recently and the other day I went into a kindergarten class when I was volunteering. They still had the same centers I remember, which aren't really toys, but provide the basics for a child's imagination. The children certainly weren't sitting in desks for the whole day, still have art, recess, PE, show n tell, etc. My older kids kindergarten actually had more "free play" than I remember having (of course they went full day where I had gone half day so that maybe the difference).

Answer by missanc at 5:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• LOL...yeah, my class taught a letter a week.

My son's class taught a letter a day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, my daughter's kindergarten was nothing like that. She even goes to a private school. They did learn a lot more than I ever imagined they would, though. n She really liked it. They did have recess everyday, music and art each once a week, and spanish once a week. They had play time each day with toys, blocks, puzzles and such. I feel sorry for the kids that go to that school!!!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• All work no pay except for recess.
    Janet

Answer by Janet at 6:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My son's is somewhere in between. I never had homework in Kindergarten. My son brings home a packet of papers a week that he has to turn in at the end of the week. They do have recess and free time but I have to wonder what they are telling the kids when my son started crying when he couldn't find the easter egg picture he colored one morning. I told him to tell his teacher I would look for it and send it the next day and he freaked and said he was going to get a big fat F! In coloring? Other than that, the times I have been in the classroom, the schedule wasn't super rigid and they did have time to play.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I am not in the states, so no nasty NCLB act to worry about. DS is in a K/1 split class. They do show and tell, reading, science center, free play(blocks, lego, junk center(where the build/creat masterpieces with various things normaly recyled) kitchen center, painting, dress up, some others I dont remember) They do math, gym, computers, writting, story time, music, art, all sorts of cool stuff! They also doing cooking!! There is a kitchen beside the classroom they use for it.(parent helpers on those days!!) They have a snack time and 2 recess and a lunch time. They learn sign language(as one girl in his class is deaf) Im very happy with his class/school in general. I think kids who get stuck doing academics all day with no fun stuff will get burnt out fast!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It's very academic, but they do still get a little bit of play time. They have art, music, or PE every day. They get about 20 minutes or so of free play time, sometimes it's outside and sometimes it's at 'fun centers'.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You'll find what's norm in a K classroom varies wildly depending on the school district.

I have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. For them, kindergarten was a half-day program. The curriculum was rooted in the philosophy that children learn a great deal through experience. They had some worksheets but no more than I did when I was in 30-some-odd years ago. They focus on learning letters and letter sounds (and other 'pre-reading' skills.) their math is a lot of skip counting, sorting, time and money recognition, etc. They do a lot of hands-on math with coins and objects. Their science is mostly experiment based. They have specials (art, library, gym, music) 4x a week (one each day with a day off.) They learn more than I did in K but they are still little kids being taught in an age appropriate way.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I am told kindergarten is more learning focused than it used to be. Jericho starts in the fall.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 8:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011