If you have cake for your kids party on the day of their birthday in addition to their weekend party, do you serve food too or just cake?

I'm having it at 6:30 and my sister said "well if you're just having cake I have to go home and eat first." I wasn't planning on cooking dinner for everyone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think just cake since after dinner time. The time your having it is plenty of time to eat and then come for cake. I would not plan to cook a meal unless you wanted to have something like sandwiches and chip and veg tray. Just something easy.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i never serve anything more than chips/dips, maybe fruit/veg tray. but i always say 'this is cake/ice cream..they can eat at home!'
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Only cake. I got things to do! It's a weekday.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Since it is at 6:30, I probably would have food, but I don't think it is totally necessary. I have been to both parties that did and did not serve food and it has never been that big a deal to me, I guess.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Cake only! Assumptions should not have been made on other food. She could have offered to bring something.
    MsDee

Answer by MsDee at 6:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because of the time you set it, I would have assumed food too. 6:30 is about the time, if not during the time most families are sitting down to eat. And when we have things for my kids the day of their party, it normally is a big family dinner then cake and ice cream...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Day of their birthday^^
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Because of the time you had the party, then I would have assumed food would be served, 6:30 is still dinner time, especially if someone is coming straight from work. I only have one party and it's usually on the weekend so there is food and cake.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I usually make or order something for the party, but only because I normally have it at like 4 or 5 and that is around dinner time. I don't have 2 parties for them. For instants my oldest turns 6 tomorrow. I am giving her gifts to her from mommy, daddy and sissy so her day feels special. She is also taking cupcakes to school tomorrow for her class. But I don't do a party on their birthday or cake. I usually do it a week later so when I do that they don't get gifts from mom and dad cause they got them on their birthday. But we order cake and get food and pop and stuff like that.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Why 2 parties? We do one - whether it's the day of or on the weekend depends on what day it falls on. 1 cake per kid per year, unless they want a special cake and I have excess batter - then I make cupcakes and they get cupcakes on the other day.
    Anonymous