Would love YOUR opinion (scouting related... but will hear any input)

Id love in put on what you think is best in this situation. Ill give as much info as possible with out making a book out of it.

I have been a co-leader/leader of a troop from kinder-3rd grade.  We started with 15 girls and 3 leaders in kinder.... and now are up to 20 girls and 4 leaders in 3rd grade.  It is just too big to be fun.  And to be honest there are girls in the troop I REALLY dis-like... they are constant trouble.  I also have issue with one of the leaders.  She is nice but tedious... ALWAYS late, bends rules she doesnt like, doesnt do anything that involves getting dirty, etc... she is just high maintenance.

I gave the leaders notice that I am leaving the end of this school year (2 more meetings left) and suggested we work it out asap so we can let the parents know before we ask them to register for next year.

One of the leaders... the one I LOVE.... asked me what I thought about just splitting the troop into two.  But how do you do that with out being rude???  I would love to stay on if I could hand pick 5-10 girls... but how???

What are your thoughts as a leader?

What would be your take on that as a parent?

I would love to do that... if I could do it with out looking like a jerk... if not Ill just leave all together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was actually thinking "why not split the troop?" but I do see your dilemma. I'd just go ahead and split the troop. You don't have to tell them why you are, except that the troop is getting too big and needs to be split.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't blame you, and if you're ready to be done, you're ready to be done, but for next year, I would still recommend doing that whether you're there or not. Oh, and PLEASE don't think I'm judging you...LOL...I am a teacher, and I completely understand. I am on my maternity leave right now, and will not be going back to work for a couple years after this because I have had my fill and need to regain some sanity.

Maybe the first 10 to register went with one pair of leaders, the next 10 to the other pair of leaders, but allow for parents to make a request if they have a pair of friends/cousins that want to be in the same group and try to accommodate that?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• That's tough. I don''t know if you can hand pick 10 girls you like without seeming rude. I don't know? Maybe? You can have 2 troops and have the girls name them. Each can have a leader. It might work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I dont think it would be an issue, just dont make it obvious! As a leader in Daisies, I am usually able to go thru and pick my girsl without anyone ralizing I am dong that...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think it would be too obvious if we split the troop and the 3 biggest trouble makers ended up in the same troop.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was thinking you should split the troop too...two groups of 10 with 2 leaders each...but as far as "hand picking" your group, I would not like that as a parent.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• agreed mom-2-3-girlz.

but the honest truth is that if we simply split the troop and I ended up with the girls that I dis-like... Id still want to quit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No worries Mom-2-3girlz.... heck at least you get PAID to deal with kids who are annoying. I can not tell you how many hundreds of dollars I have put out for this troop with out getting paid back. It is as if IM paying to have this annoyance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Cut your losses. There's no way to split the group without it atleast bothering someone. Maybe you need a break from leading? Have you thought about passing the torch but still bringing your girls to the meetings?
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2011