Common sense reigns in the democrat party of Massachusetts?

House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

Unions fought hard to stop the bill, launching a radio ad that assailed the plan and warning legislators that if they voted for the measure, they could lose their union backing in the next election. After the vote, labor leaders accused House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo and other Democrats of turning their backs on public employees.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-04-27/news/29479557_1_unions-object-labor-unions-health-care

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Anything that reduces the power of public employee unions is a good thing. The louder the Marxist types leading these unions shout, the more the tax paying public recognizes the ugly truth about the leaders of those unions. They are Marxist thugs that should be driven out of office and replaced with honestly elected rank and file members that are not affiliated with socialist groups that have disdain for capitalism and want only to push their totalitarian dreams of greed and control. At the same time, the other half of the notorious duo of corruption, the elected Democrat that is owed his election in return for favoring the unions in negotiations, should be summarily defeated every time they come up for election or for reelection.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Oh my! This certainly puts a new wrinkle in it! It is nice to see a little common sense prevailing somewhere.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I saw where unions are saying they won't be endorsing or sending campaign funds to any dems anymore. I think it was the fire and police unions.

***

That's actually a GOOD thing!! Considering at this rate they may become a non-forced union state, and then won't have the money to donate from forced dues payments to the Dems anyway!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• WOO HOO!!  For Massachusetts this is definitely a MAJOR step in the right direction!! My faith in that state may actually be restored!! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I heard this and was thoroughly mystified but most pleased :)
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Unions would still get 30 days to discuss changes to their health plans with local officials, a last minute concession, but the local government has the final say. If union members object to the plan, they would get 20 percent of the savings for one year. Their new plans could not include higher co-pays or deductibles than the lower-cost Group Insurance Commission to which state workers and legislators belong without collective bargaining.

It doesn’t go nearly as far as Wisconsin’s law, which eliminated all collective bargaining for most public workers.

I think it's a step in the right direction...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• "All the bill does, defenders say, is put municipal workers’ health-care costs in line with those of state workers. “State and municipal workers will still collectively bargain over wages, retirement benefits and most other rights,” said a spokesman for House Speaker Robert DeLeo." - Washington Post

I personally think its very fair & well thought out.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Compromise and balance are a good thing. The all or nothing approach, not so much-

I agree samurai

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• They need to lose ANY collective bargaining.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011