Who here has really looked into what other faiths believe?

Just curious as to how many here have really looked deeply into what people of other faiths/religions believe? It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about a lot of faiths and I'm wondering who here has done reading/research on what other religions are all about. Why or why not?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 9:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am very curious about other religions and love to learn about them. Mostly, I want to understand them.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 9:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I am pagan. I have studied Christianity for a number of years and I was raised JW... I would like to learn more about jewish and muslum religions

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have some Beliefnet.com is a great website.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• we did a study at church...each week we studied a diff cult..i mean religion....But it was really studied how a baptisit would study it...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i find other religions fascinating (sp). i wrote a term paper on the Morman religion in high school, took a class on the Jewish faith in college, & studied Shintoism while living in Japan as a kid. lately, ive been researching Buddism. i really need to look more into Islam b/c so many people are Muslim & we hear so many wrong things about them.
    i think you can learn alot about a person by learning about their religion
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I don't believe in a higher power, but religion really interests me. I don't think religion is ever a bad thing...if anything religion offers a community mindset, moral values, and a sense of belonging to followers. Who can argue with that?!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I've always enjoyed learning about other religions and cultures. It's a great way to open up your own spiritual understanding.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i don't. i just really don't have the time. i would like too though. i'm really happy with my religion though but always wondered why people thought this or that. i would never go to someone to get the info though. i would go straight to the church and experience it first hand or talk to the leader. my religion gets bashed a lot. i always hear strange things like were into polygamy even though we are not into that anymore. why we did makes sense though but never goes to extent to find out why. also they believe we own coke or pepsi which is incredible cause they are to big of companies to be owned by any one identity. where that came from i'll never know. oh i'm mormon if you couldn't tell.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have. My grandfather was a minister for a Methodist church. He was one of the first ministers in our area to get protestant, Methodist, and Baptist under one roof. They had to due to a lack of funds in the area. He found the similarities in the religions and preached about those. So I suppose I grew up protestant. I enjoyed Sunday school although I did not learn as much as my husband who is catholic.
    My husband is catholic has been his whole life. It’s not the same catholic I don’t think that we have here he is from another country. I find there to be many differences then what he was taught in his country as oppose to Catholics here. I don’t know anything about Catholics here except the woman I use to work closely with was a STRICT catholic.
    Anonymous

• cont..When we were dating we went over our different beliefs. We could not understand how the bible in which both of us believed in had two different interpretations. So what we did was go over it trying to find where a lot of our beliefs came from. WE COULDENT AGREE ON ANYTHING Nor could we find all the scriptures. Then we realized that some scriptures were just pulled out and twisted to fit what the religion wanted each other learn.
    Anonymous