What can i do for exercise with a toddler around?

I don't have money to go to a gym and I have no one to leave my toddler with. But, I desperately need to lose some weight. I can't take her for a walk with me because she won't ride in a stroller and if she walks along with me I obviously can't walk fast enough to get my heart rate up. I don't have a lot of space in my house for equipment nor the extra cash to buy anything over maybe 50 bucks. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• The best equipment I have ever bought are resistance bands. They are great for pretty much any part of the body and they usually cost around $10-15. You can google ideas for how to use them for whatever body muscle you are wanting to work. I usually do upper body one day/lower body the next. Cardio you can get in using dvds or cable tv exercise shows - there are some good ones!

Answer by missanc at 8:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When my daughter was a tot i would watch exercise videos and do them and she would join me! Make it fun and interactive for your child and they will give you plenty of time to exercise by doing it with you!
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 7:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You can exercise at home using videos on Youtube or using exercise dvds from your local library.

Exercise while the baby sleeps or is awake watching you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Do you have cable TV? I know Comcast has a whole bunch of exercise videos on-demand, but I never really looked for it before having the little guy. I also subscribed to Fitness magazines' free email list and got tips for exercises and dieting sent to my in-box every day. And if you just don't have the attention span or discipline for long stretches (like me... I'm naturally lazy) just plan to do something for 10 minutes each time your kid naps or goes to bed.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• There are lots of DVDs you can do at home that don't take equipment or a ton of space. DS is 2, and has been doing them with me for months (he participates for a few minutes here and there, and plays intermittently). It really helps when we're stuck at home. I totally agree about the resistance band idea, too. They're super versatile, you can use them anywhere, they're cheap, and easy to figure out. They're really effective, too!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• there are some ideas on google, where your toddler can be part of your exercise. i cant think of the sites.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Make a game out for you and you toddler.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I can't take her for a walk with me because she won't ride in a stroller

Well shoot! that kills my idea. The mall near me opens hours before the shops do and you can go in and do laps. When my son was born I'd stick him in a stroller and do my laps. As he got older I'd add some cheerios to his tray so he'd have a snack while I walked.

Good luck!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I use my 15mo as a free weight :). I lay on the floor and he gets on my shins and I do leg lifts. I also bench press him (granted, he's only 20lbs but it's still weight!) and he LOVES watching mommy do pilates. I don't get more than 5 minutes at a time but if I do it during his naps I can get a full workout a couple days a week. The trick is to make it interactive for your child and also strenuous enough that it actually DOES something for you. Maybe get a Zumba video and have your LO do it with you? :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 3:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011