Do your kids get upset when they miss a day of school?

Wow, i told my kids that we where going to see the last shuttle launch tomorrow and they weren't going to school. One started talking about all the things she was gonna miss and that see wanted popcorn. The other one said that she was gonna miss the movie. Really kids, we have popcorn at home and we have a bunch of movies. They kept reminding me about that all the way up until it was bed time.

thismotherof2

Asked by thismotherof2 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ha, they'll grow out of that attitude soon enough! My little boy (grade 2) loves going to school, but the thought of a day off makes the teenagers very very happy!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Also, I think it's great you take them to the shuttle launch. That sort of thing is a real important part of their education and if the school won't take them, and you can, it's a great idea to do it. Wish I could take mine!! The informal education you can give your kids is in a lot of ways more valuable than what the school does for them!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my oldest was very upset when the school sent him home couple of days ago cause his eye was red n watery. he has allergies and he rubbed his eye a lot before he went to school, but they swore it was pink eye. took him to the dr just to prove that it was allergies. my son balled the whole time we had out of school and for a bit after we took him back to class cause he got behind for the time he was gone. he is second grade.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No they don't. They are usually happy about it if not feeling too sick... haha. Sometimes ds wants me to take his temp. to make sure he is sick or not. lol
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Kind of depends on the time of year & why they're missing. They're more upset to miss if it's closer to the beginning of the year, or if they're sick. Last week 1 dd missed parts of 2 days and another missed part of 1 day, for dentist appointments, and the one who missed the 2 partial days had no problem - she was happy to get out early, even though it meant having more homework.
    Anonymous

• Mine has never missed except for being sick, but I used to hate it when my mother would do that because I always tried to get perfect attendance! I think taking them to the shuttle launch is a great thing and worth missing school though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• They have developed a social life at school.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My kids haven't missed a day of school in forever so I don't know how they would react. I think my 8yo would be upset. She's missed all of 3 days since she started kindergarten (she's finishing up 2nd grade now). She loves school and was upset the last time she had to miss because she was sick.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes. My son was a little upset about having to miss school on yesterday due to the destructive tornadoes that came through Alabama. Even though we live in Anniston there were some places that had been destroyed. But eventually my son got over it.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Not at all, my son is HAPPY when he gets to miss school. He hates going to school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011