What have you done to motivate yourself into action when solving a problem?

I want to make some big changes soon. I want to find a new career (I am over 40) and make steps toward owning our own home, as well. I just seem to get stuck on details, and I am having difficulty just starting the process. Please offer advice; am feeling overwhelmed. Thank you!

Bostonsbest

Asked by Bostonsbest at 9:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• Make a step-by-step list and focus on only the next step at a time. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• lol, Usually the nausea caused by the unknown gets me going... I guess first thing first, what kind of new career are you interested in. Are you interested in taking classes to get there? Best to be established in a position before attempting to own a home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thank you Adelicious! I'm great at making lists..... that's the problem! I am researching 4 different books on career changes, money saving, finances, etc. I'm getting bogged down with too much. I think I need to limit each idea or book - a specific time period maybe?

Bostonsbest

Comment by Bostonsbest (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• To But Mommie - I'm currently reading and researching to find out "what" career would fit my skills and interests. I'd prefer not to spend money on classes or seminars - since my focus is saving money right now for a home. I agree that I should be established in a new job before I venture out looking for a house. So, you're saying to focus on the 1st item - new career. Thanks!

Bostonsbest

Comment by Bostonsbest (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I journal a lot and I use a lot of lists. I keep a book of each.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thank you for the "chuckle" - 5Babybees! I needed to hear that. I think my impatience does get the best of me sometimes!

Bostonsbest

Comment by Bostonsbest (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• To wanderingmuse: Yes, I like journals also! I have been making notes each day in separate books regarding the information I'm learning. Great reminder, thanks!

Bostonsbest

Comment by Bostonsbest (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When you get too much data and too many conflicting viewpoints, I think you could do the following... stick with the 4 books for now...

1) For each book, make a list of ideas you like and ideas you think are stupid (or don't apply to you). That will make you analyse the info in the books and pick out the best

2) For each subject, make a list of ALL the compiled tips that you like

3) For each subject, pick like 2 or 3 you could start now, and then you can start with stuff that you can do over time

4) After you've got started, you can pick up more books and add and subtract ideas from your "to do" lists. Oh, and I'd try to get a couple different books for each in the next 6 months, just so you have different perspectives.

It's hard. I'm pretty sure you are going to want to prioritise the money-saving. If you want a house, you need a solid, long-term job for your loan, so that may be next, and job last. Good luck!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks Tracys2 - I like your style! I take directions well - especially when they are numbered!! (Lol) The money saving is a constant battle - my husband is much better at that - than I am! I've been at my current job for 10 years- but cannot make progress professionally or financially. I just want to gain money quicker for the down payment. I think I must find a career that I will enjoy -so earning the money for the home - will be enjoyable also! Thanks fo your ideas!

Bostonsbest

Comment by Bostonsbest (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• What do you like to do? I have a great at home business opportunity if you are interested.
    You could even do that along with current job and new or you may like it so much that it will become new career!!
    Either way...extra mone for your down payment on house!!!
    Message me if interested.
    Good Luck and be patient with yourself and pray!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011