Should I be worried or is this normal?

My daughter is four years old and recently she's been watching Super Mario Brothers. Anyone remember that old cartoon? Anyway, there's one episode she watches over and over and I come to find out there's a scene where Mario and Luigi are taken to a torture chamber to be tortured. Mario gets the water board treatment, Luigi gets his feet tickled and the little toad dude mushroom guy is getting his limbs stretched. I've restricted her from watching it, but now I'm worried.

While watching a nature show, she starts laughing when animals attack one another. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah, that is how serial killers got started. Joking! I wouldn't worry but I wouldn't encourage it either.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• no
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I tell her it's not funny to laugh at someone getting hurt. It's weird cause she doesn't like violence. She cries whenever there is violence in a show that my husband and I watch and we tell her to go play in her room. But with animals she thinks it's funny. Maybe she just thinks the animals are being funny and not actually hurting one another.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No what sara? No it's not normal or no I shouldn't worry?
    Anonymous

• What if you take her to the ZOO. Would it make a difference?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We all grew up watching Bugs Bunny/Road Runner
    Tom & Jerry and all those other shows where they clobber each other, yet we all (well most people) turned out fine.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I just want to be sure it's not an early sign of "serialistic" behavior. That's all. I guess if she starts killing animals then I'll worry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't worry; she is still only 4 years old. She may not grasp the concept of reality versus fantasy. I think you can briefly explain that it is not good to hurt or torture people and animals in the real world. Leave it at that until she gets older, or you notice some behavior out of the ordinary.

Bostonsbest

Answer by Bostonsbest at 9:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. Our 1 1/2 year old dd already laughs when her brothers trip and fall or run into something. She thinks it hilarious. Most likely because to do these things at times to make her laugh but other times they are truly hurt and she doesn't know the difference.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• At that age they are still have not fine tuned sensiitivity. My three year old wants a kitten and then kicks my mother's cat fondly. They get fascinated with some strange stuff. I wouldn't sweat it unless you see a great deal more inclinations to a deviant tendency.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011