want some advice

I want to get pregnant. I have very irregular periods and we have never used protection (no pills, no condoms) and I haven't gotten pregnant. My question is this: has anyone used fertility drugs? Any suggestions? I wanna ask my dr about putting me on fertility drugs but don't know anything about them.!! HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• The first step is going to be a general exam to make sure there are no health concerns and that you are ovulating. My doctor also did a hysterosalpingogram to flush my tubes, which can be caused by infections, scarring or just random oddness lol. THEN he put me on clomid, which I believe is one of the lowest dose fertility treatments which basically just induces ovulation. There is a large percentage of twins conceived on clomid but a low rate of higher order multiples. If that doesn't work after about 6 months most doctors will want to take more drastic measures. Usually the riskier injection type treatments which do often result in triplets or more. If THAT doesn't work then usually you would move on to IVF. I would set up a consult with your doctor, if your periods are irregular then you should get checked out anyway! Best of luck to you!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• ive never used them. i have a 4 year old and we are ttc now. umm but i heard they cost alot. look it up and see what kinds of drugs specialist offer and how much they are. the only one i have heard anything about is Clomid. thats only beacuse some moms on here were using the drug. but good luck to you guys.
    Anonymous

• Clomid is pretty cheap, I think I was paying about $30 for one months treatment if I remember right. That was without insurance that covered it. The injections that my Dr. and I discussed would have ran about $1200 a month and of course, Ivf is insane. There are hospitals that have a flat rate usually in the range of $30k, it covers 3 or 4 attempts and if you aren't preggo after that then they will actually refund your money.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I took CLOMID I was trying for 2 years and got pregnant after 3 months of taking it! On it I was told you will have a 70% chance of becoming pregnant in the frist 3 months.
    chasingafter

Answer by chasingafter at 11:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Your doctor will want to run some tests to see if they can determine why your periods are not regular before they will prescrtibe any fertility meds. Clomid is usually the first one, and it is pretty inexpensive. If that does not work, you may need more expensive injectibles, which can run anywhere from $500 to $5,000 per month just for the drugs. I think most OBs will only see you through a few rounds of Clomid before they send you to a fertility specialist. A lot of insurance won't cover much or any of the actual fertility treatments, but most will at least cover some of the testing to find out what is wrong. I suggest that you become very familar with your insurance policy before you make any appointments. What your insurance will or won't pay for may influence your choice of treatment options.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I probably should have put some more information in my question....

We have a 3 year old and we are TTC #2. I have occasionally had light periods since I have had him. But the first one wasn't for a year and half after he was born. The doctors say the reason I am not having a period is because of hormonal imbalances. :( Thanks for those that have already answered! I am hoping to make an OB appt for after the 1st of the year and I am going to ask for Clomid, as of right now.
    Anonymous