How do I get her to eat ?

My daughter went from being an "I'll-eat-anything-you-give-me" baby to not wanting anything at all. Nothing. She will take bites of things and walk away, or throw it off her plate. I'm worried she isn't going to get all the nutrients and stuff that she needs. Any tips ?

Mrs.Harris138

Asked by Mrs.Harris138 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was the same way, she will eat when shes hungry. i leave a little plate of finger foods on the coffee table n she comes to them when she wants to eat in between meals
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would try different foods. Make it fun or make a game out of eating. or try the finger foods like Mommie says. Otherwise add PediaSure.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Give her a daily vitamin and chill. She will be ok.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• How old is she? My 2 year old is going through the same phase. I've found that a kid will never starve themselves. He used to use it as an excuse to eat only snacks until I started giving him back his meal for snack. Recently though I started making him sit at the table and eat when he is served because he decided it's okay to play under the table while we eat instead. We definitely have to nip this in the bud since we have a lot of family picnics in the summer.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• @Mamastuart she is going to be 2 next month :) Thank you everyone for your advice, I will definitely give them a try :))
    Mrs.Harris138

Comment by Mrs.Harris138 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Its a phase. Most toddlers go threw it..and my son just got out of it..but im sure he'll be back in a few weeks to eating next to nothing.

Give her a daily vitamin and get some pediasure.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• In the mean time, give her a nutrient rich drink (like Boost for Kids) to make sure that she is getting all that she needs.
    What I suggest is to allow her to choose the foods that she wants. Giving her the choice may allow her to feel in control and get her to eat more of what she's given. Then when you sit it down for her ask her to at least eat half of her meal before walking away from the table. I personally would just guide her back if she only takes a couple of bites and then ask her to eat more. Be calm, even if she throws the food. Say "Jane, Please do not throw your food. If you're not hungry then let me know and you can eat later" Or whatever you feel the reasoning is behind her not eating. Just try and communicate with her and see if that will help her eating more.

As well, sit down and eat with her. Make a game out of trying new foods. Make a chart and have her mark the foods she likes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my daughter is the same way,the doctor told me my job as a mum is to sit her down 3 times a day with a healthy meal and not worry about if she eats or not,she will eat when she is hungry,offer healthy snacks and dont worry :)
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• will she drink ensure or boost ?
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2011