How do you get lice out of a 17 month old girl's hair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mayo and a lice comb (very fine tooth comb) worked for me
    Anonymous

• What the anon said. Mayo makes the hair slippery so they can't latch on. It worked well for my kiddo.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Plain (yellow) Listerine to soak the hair; wrap in a shower cap (use a rubber band to make it smaller) for an afternoon nap or playtime (I wouldn't go overnight with a little one like that); rinse well, shampoo/condition as normal; comb out with fine tooth comb, pulling out any lice or eggs, while wet; blow dry.

Vacuum crib mattress, floors, etc.; wash all bedding in hot water; put all non-washable stuffed animals in a trashbag or large ziplock and set it aside for about a month.

Check hair for missed/growing eggs daily for at least a week.

Good luck, mama!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• not totally sure but u def have my sympathy! good luck!
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i had severe lice problems when i was a child, all the way until the summer before starting 7th grade..i know, horrible..but what finally got rid of it for good was mayo..soaked my hair in it, wrapped a bag or shower cap over my head, secure as tight as you can so that the oil from the mayo dont run all over everything...i left mine in over night, but with a 17mo, maybe during the day until they are ready for a nap..and rinse it all out, shampoo, and then IF you can get your child to cooperate, put vinegar in his/her hair and let it sit for 10mins..rinse/shampoo..then comb out with lice comb...and of course you have to wash EVERYTHING that can possibly be washed..vacuum the bed,couch,floors,etc..ive never had a problem with lice since...ive also done this on other ppl and it worked for them also..GL!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011