My kids won't go to sleep and I'm going crazy.

I can hear my 2 year old on the monitor right now "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy," and my 9 month old is in my arms.

I just don't understand why I can't get them to sleep on time. They have good naps during the day, not too long, eat plenty of dinner...what the heck am I doing wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• More exercise. We take family walks and make the toddlers hold our hands and walk too. It's only a couple blocks to the tot lot in my neighborhood. We let them play there for 30-min to an hour. By the time we walk home they're heads are bobbing. Then we stick to our nightly routine (that's super important too!). Baths, jammies, teeth, etc. They pass right out.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Probably nothing. It just takes some patience. Do you have a bedtime routine for them? My dd has never been the type of kid to just go to sleep. But I always put her to bed awake and had her get herself to sleep. I was a single mom when she was a baby and I worked crazy hours. We had dinner (bottle), story time, bath, and bed. She knew after I put her in her crib I wasn't going to take her out. I think that helped.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• What I did with my children is I put a sound machine in their rooms and it works like a charm. I bet you could find one on eBay.If that still doesn't work then I think you have to bribe them. I hope this helps.
    laurynb

Answer by laurynb at 10:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Uh, I feel your pain. We've had problems on and off forever. My daughter has such a complicated bedtime routine now because we just kept adding to it. Definitely try a routine but keep it short. Sing a song, read a book. I recommend background noise if they are light sleepers. My son needs it silent and my daughter needs her music CD blaring all night long. It's so hard for me to let them cry it out - I just hate it. One night my daughter screamed for over 3 hours. We recently took away her nap (she's 3 1/2) and it seems to be helping. If you still think your older child needs that nap then make sure they aren't too long or too close to bedtime. I also noticed that my kids were more restless on days they had more candy/sugar. So now that Easter is over I'm really limiting their intake. Good luck & try to be patient! It's a struggle but you'll get through it. And have something new to worry about. lol
    splendidbaby

Answer by splendidbaby at 11:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011