• In the Spotlight:

My son is 17 months old and he refuses to eat. He only eats breakfast. He snuffs at lunch and dinner. He will eat fruit and Gerber snacks but he will not eat. I am thinking it's because I have continued to breastfeed him. I need to know if this is common and what can I do to help build his appeitite.

He does drink regular milk but not 16 oz like he should. Maybe only 8 oz. He drinks juice but not alot of it. HELP! He is not underweight and his doctor says it's ok but I am not so sure. I did not have this problem with my two girls.

Imom3

Asked by Imom3 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry about it. Offer him food during meals and snack times. Kids go through these crazy and frustrating phases....sometimes they eat so much you think they're gonna throw up and other times you can't remember the last thing they actually swallowed. If his weight is fine, his energy is fine, he's not showing signs of pain or hunger I'd chalk it up to a crazy phase and then get ready cause his next ones gonna keep you busy making that food for him.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my twins are 17 months..right now they will eat only twice a day...and milk 3 times a day...and one cup of juice...they are also on pedisure nutrapals...which helps with the extra vits...I would talk to his doc...each doc and lo is diff. my doc said 2x's a day is fine expecally since they were on peidisure..and right now there in a slow period of growing.

helpful hints:
    try to feed him lil meals say 6 times a day..sometimes big meals can look extra big for lo's.
    the pedisure helps greatly..already gaining weight.
    try a diff things

if all else fells feed him the same thing everyday...just so he would eat something just try to make it as heathy as you can
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter is the same way kind of. She will eat breakfast then after that she mostly snacks on fruits, veggies, crackers, cheese, stuff like that all day. I offer her lunch and dinner and she will take a few bites then she is done. She also drinks a good amount of milk and water too though. I would say if his doctor says it's fine then leave it be. Just keep offering him the meals and make sure he is sacking healthy :) GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008