Do you consider....

statutory rape as bad as rape? What about when you are dating? some people still think of that as statutory rape? I am wondering what peoples opions are about this.

it doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• statutory rape is merely a technicality. i dont believe it is rape at all since BOTH parties consent to have sex. rape is being forced against your will.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree with it being illegal, but not that it's on the same level as a violent rape.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think rape is rape. If my daughter consents to sex as a minor, I will fry the sick bastard that had sex with her and throw the key away. Guys know to keep it in their pants unless it is with a willing person over the age of 18.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It depends. If a 19-year-old boy gets charged with statutory rape for having sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend, I wouldn't consider him any danger at all. But, for example, my brother has a friend who was 20 or 21, had a party, had CONSENSUAL sex with some girls who were like 15 and 16. I wouldn't consider him a predator, exactly, but I WOULD consider him an idiot and someone I wouldn't feel safe for my young teenage girls hanging out with.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• @emmy thats a bit extreme. your daughter consented, meaning she wanted to, participated in the act and allowed it to happen. how is that rape? admittedly i think any parent would be upset if their teenage child was having sex, but both parties share equal responsibility.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Statutory rape is full of gray areas so no I don't consider it to be as bad as rape. If the girl consented I do not think the guy should be slapped with a sex offender label for the rest of his life. Parents are quick to want to stick them in jail and throw away the key but it should not work that way. I think there are a lot of dumb boys and girls out there who make mistakes and should not be punished so harshly for them.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter being under 18 is not old enough to partake in sexual activities. She is not mature enough to make the decision to have sex. I totally stand by what I say. And if I ever have a son, he will learn not only to wait until he is in a loving relationship but that sex with minors is Illegal and wrong.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No it's not as bad as being forced to have sex. A 16 or 17 year old having sex with their 18 or 19 year old boyfriend is very different than some creep in his mid to late 20's having sex with a girl in her early teens (or vice versa). I have two daughters so I know what its like to worry about them being taken advantage of by a charming older boy but my daughters will be properly educated and I'm not going to be naive enough to think my girls will remain virgins until they go off to college, while I'm certainly not hoping they'll be having sex at 16 I wouldn't be surprised by it and with proper education and a clear line of communication I believe my daughters won't fall prey to being charmed into bed. Though I guess I don't have room to judge considering I was 14 and their father was 17, though I guess I was lucky since it's been 11 years and we're still together.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011