So should i charge or what?

I know this old couple who can't drive. Every other weekend I take the lady shopping. I don't mind it too much because I would like someone to do that for me. Well she just asked me if on Tuesdays would I take them grocery shopping after work. I would pick them up, lift her up to get her in my car, take them to the store and follow, putting things in the cart, get the bags of food in my car, lift her back in my car, take them home, and bring the food in. She said she would pay me because they have been paying a cab driver $60 every week. I asked her what would be fair and she said she thought $10. Now to be honest, that is not worth it to me. I would rather spend my time with my family. My husband says I should tell her that she needs to pay more but I swear, I can't do that! What do I do?

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 11:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Some perspective: I'm a caregiver and do exactly that or just shop for my client while she's home. I'm paid $13/hr. I'm sure that depends on where you live. If she had a caregiver she'd be paying more....but it depends on how long it takes you to do what you've got to do.
    Anonymous

• Then that is not enough, obviously. My company charges my client 25 an hour, of which, I get 13. I'd tell her you'll do it for half of what they pay the cab driver. That would be worth it. 15 an hour and you won't feel used. The cab guy is charging for the time they are in the store too?
    Anonymous

• CJM, I took care of my 103 year old neighbor for a few years. There's doing a good deed and then it really does get to be too much. I learned the hard way....
    Anonymous

• I would say oh just give me your standard list and I will pick up what you need when I go and then help bring it in for you. This would be considerably less hassle for you and still help them out. If the getting out is what they want then say if I am picking up your groceries then we can go to lunch or dinner every other week instead of grocery shopping so you can get out and of course they pay for the meal for your time and you go some inexpensive family place they can order off the senior menu. Say you don't need to pay me, just pay for lunch every other weekend and we're even. Just make sure they give you enough for their groceries.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You could also just give her the name of a company by (googling it) and tell her you really don't have the time to set a regular schedule. Then hand her the numbers of a few companies or help her find someone who will do it for ten bucks an hour. ???
    Anonymous

• Yeah, we are looking at a 2 hour deal.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I mean, I would offer it for free and take heart in knowing it is a good deed for someone who needs the help. Similar to volunteering. If anything, I would just tell her to give a little gas money, with prices being so outrageous.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She should pay you more and you should tell her that. It is your time and your life too. Gas is ridiculous also. People want everything for nothing and that isn't how the world works. She sees that you are nice and probably takes you for a pushover... no offense. But tell her you want what she was paying the cab driver who definitely didn't follow her in the store or put the stuff in the cart and most likely didnt help her into the car. Think about it, no cab driver I know would ever do that unless the meter is running the whole time and then it would be a lot more than $60. Good luck!
    momoftwins0987

Answer by momoftwins0987 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 12:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2011