Table scraps

ok so my kids especially the 18 month old sneak and gives the dog table scraps.. the 8 year knows better but the babys hard to break.. well now our dog wont eat out of her dish.. she begs for food while we eat.. i thought shed just get hungry enough shed eat her food but she wont.. she actually sits by the table and whines for food while her dish is full.. should i be concerned or will she eventually realize shes not getting scraps and eat.

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Train her to be in a spot away from the table when you eat. Somewhere out of sight from you while eating. That way kids can't sneak food to the dog and the dog isn't tempted to do that annoying whine/beg. Its a very bad habit and one I don't tolerate with my own dog.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You might want to try to feed the dog 1st then put her in another room or outside(weather permitting) while the family eats.The dog will not let itself starve.You will have to be consistant with doing this to make it work.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my shiba inu goes upstairs when dinner is served. She just knows to chill up there for a little. My chiweenie chills in his kennel with his chewy. I do give them things that are homemade but made for them...like beef and rice yum
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree about putting her in another room or a crate if you have one while ANYone is eating. You can put her own food with her if you want to feed her at the same time you all eat (breakfast/dinner). She will eat her own food if she gets hungry enough...a healthy dog will NOT starve itself.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our dog used to sit by our table and wait for us to finish dinner before she would eat in case she would get any table scraps. After she realized she wasn't getting anything, she would then eat her food. If the kids quit sneaking her food, she will eventually realize that it's either the dog food or nothing. I agree with the above answer, the dog will not starve, eventually she will eat her own food.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011