When should I be pumping?

I've been feeding my three week old about every two hours (or more!). I usually feed on one side, then change her diaper, then on the other side. She usually feeds for about 20 minutes on each side. Sometimes she waits a few minutes before wanting the second breast, but she usually does.
My question is this: when am I supposed to "fit in" pumping? I feel like if I pump right before feeding, then I won't have enough for her to eat, and if I pump after, there won't be anything left. Two hours hardly seems like enough time (although I know it is). Moreover, sometimes she wants to cluster feed - but I don't always know when that is.
I've been using a manual pump, though I plan to get an electronic one. I'm just introducing the bottle (which went well).
Any suggestions?

RachaelTheMom

Asked by RachaelTheMom at 11:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can I ask why you need to pump? Unless you are planning to go to work soon, you don't have to pump.

You shouldn't be pulling her off the breast. You should let her eat until she quits while on the same one side.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You can pump either before or after. If you pump before you may feel you have nothing left but you do. It is supply and demand, you body will make what you need. I usually pumped right before she ate in the morning, especially once she started sleeping longer at night because I would be so full in the morning.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• well, pumping... i personally have a 2 month old whos eating every 3 hours, i normally have him eat off one breast for a few minuets then the second, he normally gets fussy with a burp or just falls asleep. so once hes chosen to "unlatch" i pump both breasts for what evers left over and then continue to pump for a minuet or two so the breast still gets the stimulation so it makes more milk next time around. i do this at every feeding and by the end of the day i have a full bottle. (but that will depend on your feedings and what not)
    anyway, what ever the reason your switching to pumping, mine is just to have spare milk so i can feed baby in public or some one else can feed him. Id suggest doing what i do, or just dont worry about it right now. your babys a newborn still shes supposed to be fed "on demand" to help he gain weight and get the hang of the feedings and just to bond with mommy. good luck with teh pumping ^_-
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 11:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I always let her drop off; I don't switch her - her feeding on each side just usually lasts about 20 minutes or so. After she falls off, I change her diaper, which wakes her up a bit, then she wants the other side :)
    I'm pumping so dad can feed sometimes, and so I'll have a bit of a stash when we need to be out and about (church nursery, etc.). There's no need for me to have a large supply on-hand, but I'd just like to have a few bags in the freezer.
    Thanks though - it's good to know I don't NEED to be pumping right now. :) She was three weeks early, and I am feeding on demand (and what a demand it is lol) to get some chubb on her :)
    RachaelTheMom

Comment by RachaelTheMom (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldnt pump unless you are going back to work.I pumped for 7 months with my premature daughter and after awhile mymilk just dried up,then my second I pumped for 5 months and it dried up.If you have to pump I would only pump when your at work?
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Oh ok...now I can help. HAHA

Good for you for letting her pop off. just pump after she is done feeding. Add each session together and eventually, it will add up. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Also it is helpful to pump at the same time each day. SO if you decide to pump after the morning feeding then do that daily because the body will become accustomed to needing the extra milk at they time of day. As she grows your feeding will become further a part an you can add a routine pumping session in to the mix between feedings.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I had that problem. it will get easier to pump when your baby starts to eat more and sleep longer. For me that was around three months after birth. It can be demanding and stressful but don't let it stress you out as that will affect your milk supply and your babies feedings won't be comfortable for either of you. :-)
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2011