Can diarrhea be caused by breastfeeding? adult content

I've had diarrhea for about a week and a half and I'm not sure if breastfeeding is linked to it or not. I mentioned it to the pediatrician when we had our two week checkup, and while she sympathized with the condition, she didn't seem overly alarmed. I mentioned my concern with the baby "catching" this if I was sick, and she reassured me that she couldn't through breast milk (but that I just need to be vigilant about washing my hands - which I am). I was also concerned about the baby's hydration because of my potential dehydration - which she also dismissed; the baby will get what she needs (also good to know).
This leads me to my question to you all: because I can't take anything for it (it passes through the breast milk, and I certainly don't want a constipated baby!), are there any suggestions on what I can do (or what may be causing this? I would've thought that by now it would have passed. I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary. And I've noticed that when I sit down to nurse the "urge" comes on me pretty strongly...which is why I asked if breastfeeding could be linked to this.
Thanks for your help! :D

RachaelTheMom

Asked by RachaelTheMom at 11:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try taking probiotics. They are 100% safe to take while breastfeeding and will help get your intestinal flora evened out.
    Anonymous

• Never heard of nursing causing that.

Side note: ALWAYS breastfeed baby when you are sick especially, baby will gain the immunities and antibodies from it. BM has all the nutrition and fluids baby needs. Never a need to worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Also, drink some Kefir, great for you and baby. Works even better than probiotics.
    BradenIsMySon

• never heard of nursing causing diarreah?
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 11:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Nope. You have a bug. Sorry :(

Now (or any time you are sick) is THE most important time to nurse the baby.

Stay away from coffee, fruit juices, citrus. You *can* take Immodium. I had to while I was nursing because I got a nasty, nasty bug (rotovirus). If you do, drink extra fluids and only take 1/2 of one at a time or you will go from the runs to the nones and be miserable. Yes, a small amount of it passes to baby. You have to weigh the risk/benefit. If one small dose helps slow things down enough for you to get good and hydrated or eat well- then that is just as important to your LO as it is to you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I know when I get "hot" I get stomach aches and that turns into the unmentionable lol
    If you are sick the only thing transferring through your actual milk would be the antibodies to help fight whatever you have in the babies body if he/she got it as well.....
    You need to keep your hands clean and disinfected.....
    If you need some relief, start eating natural foods like low fat cheese and bananas that help bind bowel movements lol Good luck! xo
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Eat bananas and rice, that will help to "firm" things up.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Just wanted to post for the record: I figured out what it was!
    As I delivered C-section, I was given a number of antibiotics. I asked the nurse if I should be concerned with a yeast infection, and she said no. I didn't think to mention what all those drugs would do to my colon. Turns out it threw off the balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria in my GI track, and diarrhea was the result. To fix the problem, I use Kefir. I drank a whole bottle in one day...then another the next day. Also, I started eating what's called a BRATY diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea (decaf), and Yogurt (or Kefir). Within a couple of days, I was back to new! :D And it took me about 6 weeks to figure it out!
    I hope this helps someone else, should they have the same problem!
    RachaelTheMom

Comment by RachaelTheMom (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2011