Trying to potty train a girl...

she will be 2 on June 4th..and ive been trying off and on for a couple months to potty train her...the first attempt was not successful whatsoever..she wouldnt even try to go to the potty to pee..and would only go on the potty sometimes..so i figured shes just not ready..so i let it go for about 2 months..and i started to try again the weekend before last and she went on the potty more times than before, and once she actually went to the potty by herself and went..without being told to go sit on the potty...and she pooped on the potty once too..i dont use pull ups or panties..i just leave her bottom half bare..i hear its better that way..but i stoped again when she got sick..and currently in diapers..i know you have to be consistent..but it just seems like im not getting anywhere by having to always tell her to sit on the potty, and she dont try to go by herself when she needs to pee/poop..is it just going to take longer to get that point than i think? or could it just be shes not ready? i feel like a failure..not getting anywhere..i always praise her and reward her when she does do it..yesterday she went and hid in the corner to poop in her diaper and then wanted it changed..usually she does not want it changed at all..i dont know what to do..she can stay dry for hours at a time also..

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had such a hard time with my daughter and I started about the time you did, just before she was 2. Seriously, it took me a year of trying off and on. I was not always consistent I admit but it just didn't seem like she was ready so I didn't push. We started using pull-ups just to differentiate them from diapers. I was very enthusiastic about "ditching those diapers" and she was proud to do so as well. We worked on learing to go potty with the pull-ups, then one day she just didn't need them anymore. She stayed dry for naps, dry at night, and went on the potty just like that. I truly believe it is possible to potty-train in one day, after trying for a year of course. lol Anyhow, I learned being consistent, having her go before you leave the house, before she gets into playing (they don't like the interruption), having to go before bed, after meals, etc. helps. You sort of have to ask a lot and be on top of her @ 1st
    splendidbaby

Answer by splendidbaby at 11:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She has to learn the feelings of "I gotta pee". By reminding her often she begins to learn.

That being said, my son finally potty trained at 4-4.5. He had two separate major life changing events that caused him to regress. My daughter potty trained at 3. We started both kids at two years old. Neither one was ready so it was a HUGE struggle for us. With my daughter though we paid more attention to her readiness cues and when she was ready she figured it all out in a week or two; night and day.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• That happened with my first dd too. She was dry every night and when we were out and about she would stay dry for hours and hours and hours. But potty training kept getting interrupted by her getting really really sick. She's 3 in July and she's been pee-potty trained for months now but still refuses to poop in the potty. It's driving me nuts! Lol!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 1:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2011