If someone close to you was breaking the law?

What would you do? It doesn't involve drugs or hurting people (at least not directly)...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a family member that has been breaking the law for YEARS. Unfortunately she has 3 children and none of us in my family are willing to turn her in. But DAMN is she pushing it lately.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would like to climb up on my high horse here and say turn them in but apparently my convictions have become rather lax since I married into a family of utter lunacy. Currently my MIL is committing SS fraud and 2 of my BIL's are on the run from the po-po lol. Which has seriously complicated my holiday plans....since my sister's husband is a cop.
    Anonymous

• I guess it would depend on whats going on and if I had proof.
    Anonymous

• If someone close to me was breaking the law and I knew about it, I would feel convicted to turn them in and do what's right.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would do what's right.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• OP here - the person is selling her SS card and birth certificate to illegal aliens! And then just goes and gets new ones and does it all over again. Not too bright in my opinion. She is bound to get caught.

I know she is having desperate times and needs money (she has a new baby) BUT there are so many places to get public aid and stuff you know? She already gets food stamps and WIC but I guess it's not enough. Her boyfriend has a job but is paying off a probation bill. He's selling his info to by the way!

She told me all this today. I don't know why they would pay off a probation with another illegal act. I have never been in such desperate circumstances so I guess I can't say what I would do....

It just bothers me to have her around my kids.
    Anonymous

• Wow, yeah thats a pretty dumb move on her part. In that case I probably wouldn't do a darn thing. She's digging her own grave there. And when she gets caught, and she will, she will have no one to blame but herself.

I personally wouldn't put myself in the middle of it if it wasn't something that was life threatening.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i think you should tell them you need to stop and if you don't i will turn you in. you don't want them getting in trouble and they will eventually get caught. if not by you turning them in but cause the SS dept will suspect them and see that their ss cards are being used. sometimes when their card is being used by someone that person can't get assistance. my son had his card being used and when i needed food stamps i had to clear that up before it was released to me. it's all vast united system that will finally connect the dots. plus i bet this would be a federal offense and felony charge. tell them your asking them and if they stop you won't say anything but if they don't then you will. although how would you know. i would guess they don't and do it anyway and when they caught you can just say i told you so.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'd be pretty mad if someone confessed something like that to me. What a burden! I'd warn her about the trouble she'll be in when she's caught, and share this verse:
    Proverbs 22:3 "A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished."
    I'd stay away from her because I wouldn't want to be around when the cops kick the doors in. Stay safe, OP!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would suggest to them to change their ways, than its up to them to change.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008